New battery lead U/S

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
Whitlock 505
Flag: Wales

New battery lead U/S

Post #1 by Whitlock 505 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:07 pm

Gents,

I thought I'd post this as it may help or has anybody had experiences with new replacement parts working! While I was replacing the wiring on the Benford/Johnson dumper i thought I would replace the positive and negative battery lead while I had the cables off the starter solenoid. I purchased said leads from a local motor factor shop and renewed as part of the rewiring process as req'd, when it came to start the dumper all i got was a click of the solenoid and the dog throwing out but not turning on the flywheel! Again much head scratching and redoing over my wiring, 2 days lost and thought the battery must have gone flat, left it on charge overnight,but still no joy! The owner got his vehicle and we tried to jump start it but again just a click, then he had a stroke of genius and put the jump cable direct to the starter solenoid and lo and behold the ignition key worked :insomnia: took the new battery positive lead off and replaced with the old and its working like a good un :claphands:

moral of the story, even if its a new part it may still be u/s

Ian

Jeremy Rowland

Re: New battery lead U/S

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:47 pm

Yes Ian great advice there :thumbup: I have had duff new parts in the past when repairing cars, one instance I replaced a pair of points in my parents Vauxhall Chevette that I was servicing for them, the car would not start with the new set of points, I cleaned the old ones off refitted them and the car started first time, you know I looked closely at the set of new points but could find or see no fault with them.

Jeremy

Topic author
Whitlock 505

Post #3 by Whitlock 505 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:36 pm

Jeremy Rowland wrote:Yes Ian great advice there :thumbup: I have had duff new parts in the past when repairing cars, one instance I replaced a pair of points in my parents Vauxhall Chevette that I was servicing for them, the car would not start with the new set of points, I cleaned the old ones off refitted them and the car started first time, you know I looked closely at the set of new points but could find or see no fault with them.

Jeremy

Yes Jeremy, exactly the same, brand new lead, all ends crimped properly, looked fine, no good :doh:

FOWLER MAN

Post #4 by FOWLER MAN » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:42 pm

Hi,
Yes I had a new "Genuine Briggs and Stratton" ignition coil a few weeks ago which was faulty.
It is annoying because you immediately doubt yourself and double check every thing, then put a meter on to test the coil which all takes time.
Then there was the wait for the replacement to come from the USA which I have to say Briggs supplied without question. :thumbup:
They then said it was unheard of for one of these units to leave the factory with a fault. :roll: :lol:
The engine started immediately with the new replacement fitted. :thumbup:

Fred

Topic author
Whitlock 505

Post #5 by Whitlock 505 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:03 pm

FOWLER MAN wrote:Hi,
Yes I had a new "Genuine Briggs and Stratton" ignition coil a few weeks ago which was faulty.
It is annoying because you immediately doubt yourself and double check every thing, then put a meter on to test the coil which all takes time.
Then there was the wait for the replacement to come from the USA which I have to say Briggs supplied without question. :thumbup:
They then said it was unheard of for one of these units to leave the factory with a fault. :roll: :lol:
The engine started immediately with the new replacement fitted. :thumbup:

Fred

Yes all takes time Fred, and there's the self doubt as you said, then there's the joy and bitterness of finding that you were right and the new part was at fault! Time is not reimbursed though :thumbdown:

Return to “Dumpers”