Hi from Newbie with dumper ID questions

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
Crazy Harry
Flag: Great Britain

Hi from Newbie with dumper ID questions

Post #1 by Crazy Harry » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:21 pm

Hi Everyone,

First post from a forum ‘newbie’ and a request for help as I’ve just taken possession of a new (to me) dumper.

I’m about to start some serious landscaping and I’m feed up with being fleeced for delivery of aggregates when I can see the quarry gates from my house and can get to them via farm tracks so from now on I collect myself! I’ve spend the last few years with classic cars and Landrovers but am no stranger to heaver stuff having spent my latter teenage years (albeit forty years ago) over and inside Ruston two foot gauge locos; so I am looking forward to sorting out some odds and ends before I put my dumper to work. It had the attractions of good (not cracked or perished) rubber and has been converted to electric start.
I’m in the process of trying to identify the model and age. I had assumed from the tinwork it was a Winget Muir-Hill but the cast weight on the front chassis crossmember is branded Winget.

The engine is a Petter ph1 with a number a little over 36000. Some sites say these were produced from 1956 others from 1960.
Five stud front axels and 3 stud rears.
Box on the back has battery for electric start with tow hitch through the starting handle access.
Its carrying layers and layers and layers of paint but the base colour (as seen underneath lying on the floor) on both engine and chassis is, I would say, Muir Hill red.

I can’t find a chassis plate or a number stamped into the chassis. What should I be looking and where? If I can find it I’ll try Winget for the build history. Can you help me out with model and chassis number please.

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Hi from Newbie with dumper ID questions

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:56 pm

Hi Harry welcome to CMN :wave: somebody on here will be able to put you in the right direction. :thumbup:

Jeremy

mechman

Post #3 by mechman » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:05 am

Hi Harry
I have almost identical looking model, Mines a Winget 4s with the PH2 engine in it, It's also been converted to electric start(not a simple task by any means) Wingets web site is very helpful and so are they directly, have a look at my thread on here, although you might not want to go as far as I did.
Norm

Topic author
Crazy Harry

Post #4 by Crazy Harry » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:59 pm

Hi Norm,

Thanks for your post and the direction to your thread. I had found the web pages with the Winget PDF downloads but didn't read them carefully enough. I had dismissed those models because the illustrations at the start of the documents show the tin work with a square back or straight line folds in the mud covers.

Looking further into the 4S document it shows the dimensions of the dumper against a drawing with curved mud covers - like mine. Having said that the illustrations in the 2S and 3S documents show the 'squared' back end.

Having checked the documents for the 2S; 3S and 4S I think mine could be a 3S. Working from the parts drawings the 2S has a different tipping catch arrangement to the 3S and 4S. The tipping arrangement on mine is the same as yours but the skip has a different profile on the leading edge - its flat/straight where yours tapers forward to the front lip.

When you stripped the chassis on yours did you find an ID plate or ID number stamped into it? if so where was it?

So at the moment I'm leaning towards the 3S as the model - anyone know different?

mechman

Post #5 by mechman » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:17 pm

I believe the ID plate was fixed to the drivers side rear mudguard I've still got it somewhere, it's made of brass. How was the electric start done on yours? Mine was done from a blown engine, but had to modify the chassis etc. The area that's been cut out to accommodate the starter motor has been double skinned all round.
Norm.

Topic author
Crazy Harry

Post #6 by Crazy Harry » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:40 pm

Hi Norm,

No evidence of a plate on the rear tin work - not even rivet holes so I live in hope of a number bring stamped somewhere else under the layers of paint.

The starter on mine is mounted through a vertical plate - you can see the back end of it in the photo of the rear of the dumper to the left of the white battery box. Your method looks a lot neater. I will PM you some photos of the way its fitted in a couple of days I'm out and about at the moment.

Holger
Site Admin
Flag: Sweden

Post #7 by Holger » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:18 am

Welcome to CMN!

Crazy Harry wrote:I had found the web pages with the Winget PDF downloads but didn't read them carefully enough.

Where did you find the PDF-files?

:thumbup:
Some resources:
How-To

Topic author
Crazy Harry

Post #8 by Crazy Harry » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:35 am

Site Admin wrote:Welcome to CMN!

Crazy Harry wrote:I had found the web pages with the Winget PDF downloads but didn't read them carefully enough.

Where did you find the PDF-files?

:thumbup:

I used these http://www.winget.co.uk/UserGuide.aspx

mechman

Post #9 by mechman » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:16 pm

Yes that's the same place.
Norm.

mechman

Post #10 by mechman » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:01 pm

The only 3 series that has the rounded mud guards (according to the PDFs) seems to be the 3SHD version, which has all the hydraulic gubbins on it, then onto the 4$ with the twin petters. Does it have the same wheel stud set up as a 3 series or a 4 series.
Norm.

Return to “Dumpers”