Old Benford info please

Discuss dumpers here

essexpete

Re: Old Benford info please

Post #11 by essexpete » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:24 pm

Fred the gear box and steering box are phone to water ingress. I would think an EP 80/90 would be ok. If rhe steering is heavy check the box but also jack up and see if everything else is free.

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #12 by FOWLER MAN » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:18 am

Hi,
May well help if you take a grease gun to the kingpins.
Jack it up to do this so the grease goes down through the thrust washers under the axle beam.
Fred

Topic author
freddyuk

Post #13 by freddyuk » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:38 pm

After a false start I finally collected the dumper today. Did not fit the first trailer as the rear wheels are wider track than the front and I was given the rear track dimension.!
Adapted another trailer to take it backwards. It was a 5 hour journey.

It really is a heavy lump and much heavier than it looks. Managed to get it home with my Skoda as the 4X4 truck has a wobbly crankshaft pulley. No real dramas but a long line of Sunday drivers were not too happy behind me across to East Kent from East Sussex - sorry! I will not be towing it to Ireland with the Skoda as it is not fair..... on me or the Skoda.
It did start and drive after sitting since August so I have something to work on. I will go and find any markings tomorrow and do some images for positive ID from you experts.I will jet wash it and start the TLC it is so deserving of.
Hopefully I can get some maintenance info to make a start on keeping it going as it has some work to do before retiring.

Topic author
freddyuk

Post #14 by freddyuk » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:27 pm

I have images of the very faded engine plate. It is clearly a Petter engine. I have no idea what the numbers are but maybe someone does.

Topic author
freddyuk

Post #15 by freddyuk » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:05 pm

It is a Thwaites! I have scraped off some of the respray paint and I can make out Thwaites across the rear panel. Also there is "DIRECTOR...." can anyone ID the rest of it?
The throttle linkage is a mess and virtually hitting the flywheel housing so very little travel. It is all loose so I need info on setting this up correctly.
Should it be all the way forward (towards the front) when at rest?

Images have been rotated while uploading??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Post #16 by Mrsmackpaul » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:17 pm

I dunno if you know this or not Fred so disregard if you do already
When people out here talk wheel track we talk center of the tyre or track to center of the tyre or track, not the out side edge to out side edge, so old mate who supplied the measurements may well have been spot on
Good luck with the jigger

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Ronan Keaveney
Flag: Ireland

Post #17 by Ronan Keaveney » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:23 pm

Hi Freddie, I recently bought a dumper identical to yours and could not identify what make it was as theres no Vin plate or chassis number anywhere.... where exactly have you found Thwaites on the panel ? If you get a chance could you post a few more pictures ... do you know if it's a Thwaites nimline ? Cheers... Ronan K...

Ronan Keaveney

Post #18 by Ronan Keaveney » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:29 pm

Ronan Keaveney

Post #19 by Ronan Keaveney » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:33 pm

This is my Dumper... I thought it was an old Benford but now that I see yours it must be a Thwaites... I'd like to find out the model and year of it if anyone can help... Thanks guys!!

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Post #20 by cobbadog » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:33 am

Sometimes you can get an idea of the date from the engine number. But that relies on the engine being the original and I done this on my Lister engine but I don't have any Petter details of engine build dates, hopefully someone here will.
Cheers Cobba

Return to “Dumpers”