Stothert and Pitt Barford Dumpers

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
XS650
Flag: Great Britain

Stothert and Pitt Barford Dumpers

Post #1 by XS650 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:30 am

I had forgot that Stothert and Pitt had bought Barford and did not know that they marketed the range as' Stothert and Pitt Barford including the little Bantam.
In fact we had someone on here with a 'Barford Bantam' who wanted it identifying and thought it was a Stothert and Pitt and I told him SP only made 4wd dumpers Hey Ho !
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Not all those who wander are lost.

Slatteybarn

Re: Stothert and Pitt Barford Dumpers

Post #2 by Slatteybarn » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:43 pm

I'm in contact with Lincolnshire archives trying to date the dumper as they hold the records for barford.they have the works books for 1973 and are hoping that we can trace the machine with the original colour and the engine number which has been matched to october 1973.
do you know when S&P took over Barfords

regards
Phil

Topic author
XS650

Post #3 by XS650 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:14 pm

I don't know but I think it was later than 73 . I have some Barford brochures I will see what date they are.
So your dumper may indeed be a ' pure' Barford Bantam !

Craig
Not all those who wander are lost.

Slatteybarn

Post #4 by Slatteybarn » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:15 pm

I hit a stumbling block with trying to date the dumper as I cant find the manufactures plate with the serial number on it,does anyone know where on the machine it may be,

Regards
Phil.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #5 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:26 am

Slatteybarn wrote:I hit a stumbling block with trying to date the dumper as I cant find the manufactures plate with the serial number on it,does anyone know where on the machine it may be,

Regards
Phil.

Unfortunately for whatever reason many machines get these plates removed from them, so if you cannot see it then it may just be the case in this instance; does the engine have a serial number you may get a general idea of the machines age by dating that? Just a thought.

Jeremy

Notaclue

Post #6 by Notaclue » Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:13 am

I hope this thread isn’t too cold but I’m looking to get some info on a Stothert & Pitt 2 ton dumper with a Lister ST2 engine. It’s DVLA registered on a 1981 plate but that doesn’t necessarily reflect the year of manufacture. Can’t find any plates on it other than the weight loading on the skip. Any help gratefully appreciated. Possibly a special made for the MoD??

essexpete

Post #7 by essexpete » Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:55 pm

Notaclue wrote:I hope this thread isn’t too cold but I’m looking to get some info on a Stothert & Pitt 2 ton dumper with a Lister ST2 engine. It’s DVLA registered on a 1981 plate but that doesn’t necessarily reflect the year of manufacture. Can’t find any plates on it other than the weight loading on the skip. Any help gratefully appreciated. Possibly a special made for the MoD??

Photo would help.

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Post #8 by cobbadog » Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:58 am

Hi Simon, I just replied to your other thread but I notice you identify the engine as a ST2 Lister. Any ST2 Lister manual will have the answers for you and are easily found using Google online or someone may have a PDF of one and post it here. Mine is a SR2 so not quite the same. Write down the serial numbers on the engine block as they can identify the year of that engine and it is most likely it is the original engine. That will help with year of manufacture.
Can I suggest that you run just one thread on your Dumper as it can cause confusion, especially to old bastards like me thinking it has not been answered.
Good luck with your Dumper and hope it runs again soon.
Cheers Cobba

Notaclue

Post #9 by Notaclue » Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:36 pm

Hi Cobba, many thanks for both your replies. I have been extremely lucky and connected with a senior agricultural engineer who is making hydraulic hoses and he has sorted me out. I’m still keen to learn more about my dumper however as we’ve become good friends! I’ve tried to upload an image but it won’t let me, says there are too many redirects??

Notaclue

Post #10 by Notaclue » Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:40 pm

Hi Cobba, many thanks for both your replies. I have been extremely lucky and connected with a senior agricultural engineer who is making hydraulic hoses and he has sorted me out. I’m still keen to learn more about my dumper however as we’ve become good friends! I’ve tried to upload an image but it won’t let me, says there are too many redirects?? Noted on the extra thread I’ll try and delete it and I’ll look for the engine plate.

Return to “Dumpers”