Benford 1999 5 ton Dumper Cav pump problem

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
mickdoc6238
Flag: France

Benford 1999 5 ton Dumper Cav pump problem

Post #1 by mickdoc6238 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:36 am

Hi All
I recently posted a question on the Dumper forum concerning the cold start on the Benford but after 2 days trying to get the Dumper started have found that no Diesel is getting to the injectors and this is the problem and not the cold start.
Thinking I had a starvation of fuel I have taken the tank off,cleaned it out,blew most of the pipes for any blockage but still the Dumper will not start.
Having had a similar problem on my JCB 3C I've understand well the Bleeding process and the Cav pump.

At this moment in time I have no fuel coming out of the Bleed screw yet have got fuel reaching the Cav pump.
On my JCB it tuned out to be a problem with the Cav pump but that pump was much more simple being much older and not so many wires and pipes so I fixed the problem myself by stripping down and cleaning it up.
I am wondering if anyone has any ideas of the working of this type of Cav pump and what could be the problem.
Here below is a picture.

Thanks for any help
Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
mickdoc6238

Re: Benford 1999 5 ton Dumper Cav pump problem

Post #2 by mickdoc6238 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:47 am

diggerjones
Flag: Great Britain

Post #3 by diggerjones » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:36 pm

Think on this pump there's a pencil filter, where the fuel pipe goes into the pump. I would imagine this is full up. Take it out and clean. If you search there's other threads with this problem

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #4 by FOWLER MAN » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:04 pm

Yes, Dylan is probably right.
Remove the inlet pipe from the pump and screw out the fitting to which it was connected, (15/16 AF or 24 MM spanner will fit).
Remove the spring from under the fitting and you will then be able to carefully hook out and clean the small nylon filter.
Hopefully that will solve your problem.
It could of course be a problem with the electric fuel shut off solenoid or wiring.
Good luck.
Fred

Topic author
mickdoc6238

Post #5 by mickdoc6238 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:51 pm

FOWLER MAN wrote:Yes, Dylan is probably right.
Remove the inlet pipe from the pump and screw out the fitting to which it was connected, (15/16 AF or 24 MM spanner will fit).
Remove the spring from under the fitting and you will then be able to carefully hook out and clean the small nylon filter.
Hopefully that will solve your problem.
It could of course be a problem with the electric fuel shut off solenoid or wiring.
Good luck.
Fred

Hi Fred
I thought about you when I made this post but did not know if you are following Dumpers on CMN
Because of the problem I had with my JCB that you helped me out with last time I looked for the small filter but could not find it.Is it in the same place as the 3C.I did fine the little spring with the piston end which falls off when you pick up the spring.....I assume this is where I should be looking.

Also do I need to losen off both 10mm nut and the little 7mm nut on the face of the Cav pump to bleed.I am getting a trickel of fuel from the bottom one but nothing from the top 10mm nut.

I will go out now and have another look for this filter.

Topic author
mickdoc6238

Post #6 by mickdoc6238 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:08 pm

Thank you Digger Jones and Fred.....Just found the Pencil Filter and pretty mad with myself as I should have spotted it but it was quite low down.
It looks a bit merky brown as if its been in contact with water.
Do you think my problem may be below and worth taking Pump off and cleaning out like my 3C

Up date.....so just took of one of the Injector tubes off the Pump to see if my fuel come out when i turn over the engine and I am getting a drip every few seconds :(

Mick

edenboy

Post #7 by edenboy » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:52 pm

mickdoc6238 wrote:Hi All
I recently posted a question on the Dumper forum concerning the cold start on the Benford but after 2 days trying to get the Dumper started have found that no Diesel is getting to the injectors and this is the problem and not the cold start.
Thinking I had a starvation of fuel I have taken the tank off,cleaned it out,blew most of the pipes for any blockage but still the Dumper will not start.
Having had a similar problem on my JCB 3C I've understand well the Bleeding process and the Cav pump.

At this moment in time I have no fuel coming out of the Bleed screw yet have got fuel reaching the Cav pump.
On my JCB it tuned out to be a problem with the Cav pump but that pump was much more simple being much older and not so many wires and pipes so I fixed the problem myself by stripping down and cleaning it up.
I am wondering if anyone has any ideas of the working of this type of Cav pump and what could be the problem.
Here below is a picture.

Thanks for any help
Mick

Hi, on the opposite side of the engine to the pump is a lift pump which pumps diesel at low pressure from the tank through the diesel filter to the injector pump. Usually these pump direct from the tank so drawn crap up through them. There is a flap head screw to remove the top cover and there will be a gauze underneath which usually is full of crap. The newer type ones have a tiny filter in the inlet of the pump. Once the bleed nipples are open you should feel a positive squeeze of fuel when you manually pump it. If you don't the diaphragms may have ripped inside. If you have noticed your oil is thin or rising this will be the lift pump leaking diesel into the sump. Hope that helps.

Topic author
mickdoc6238

Post #8 by mickdoc6238 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:46 am

edenboy wrote:
mickdoc6238 wrote:Hi All

Here below is a picture.

Thanks for any help
Mick

Hi, on the opposite side of the engine to the pump is a lift pump which pumps diesel at low pressure from the tank through the diesel filter to the injector pump. Usually these pump direct from the tank so drawn crap up through them. There is a flap head screw to remove the top cover and there will be a gauze underneath which usually is full of crap. The newer type ones have a tiny filter in the inlet of the pump. Once the bleed nipples are open you should feel a positive squeeze of fuel when you manually pump it. If you don't the diaphragms may have ripped inside. If you have noticed your oil is thin or rising this will be the lift pump leaking diesel into the sump. Hope that helps.

Thanks Kevin for your help on this.
The lift pump was the first thin I looked at as it seemed to have lots of pressure on the first few pumps and then got more limp although seemed to still be working.I took off the top cover and cleaned the top gauze filter,it was a bit dirty but nothing dramatic.After cleaning the Tank out i blew the tubes going to and from the lift pump and there was not much change with the first few pumps and then a drop.
Following your post I have gone deeper and just whipped of the Screws and had a look to see if the diaphagm has any problem but all looks good.
The picture below is as far as I have got so if you have any other ideas it would be great.
I plan to take off the Cav pump today but although all points to there being a problem with it I really do not think there is as for me there is not enough fuel getting to it but I have run out of ideas and it could only be something inside the Cav pump.

diggerjones

Post #9 by diggerjones » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:40 pm

Maybe before you mess with the pump, rig up a temporary tank. Then you're not relying on the lift pump

Topic author
mickdoc6238

Post #10 by mickdoc6238 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:14 pm

diggerjones wrote:Maybe before you mess with the pump, rig up a temporary tank. Then you're not relying on the lift pump

Just whipped off the Lift pump and hoping that the end should not look like this and I have found my problem

What do you recon is the 45° angle wear and should it be square ?

Return to “Dumpers”