Benford TS40 gearbox?

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
SiH
Flag: France

Benford TS40 gearbox?

Post #1 by SiH » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:07 am

Evening all,
The geabox on my 1982 benford TS40 has just started to get difficult to select gears, any gear. The gearstick just wont go into any gear, so i turn the engine off and try, still no luck. Then it'll engage easily as normal. Weird? Any ideas chaps before I strip it apart? And no i havnt checked the oil level for a while, but thought the selector fork might be effed if it isnt that? Great old dumper though. :)

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Benford TS40 gearbox?

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:39 am

SiH wrote:Evening all,
The geabox on my 1982 benford TS40 has just started to get difficult to select gears, any gear. The gearstick just wont go into any gear, so i turn the engine off and try, still no luck. Then it'll engage easily as normal. Weird? Any ideas chaps before I strip it apart? And no i havnt checked the oil level for a while, but thought the selector fork might be effed if it isnt that? Great old dumper though. :)

I'd have a look at the selector mechanism if it does not go into gear with the engine turned off I'd imagine its not too much of a job to lift the top cover off the gearbox.

Jeremy

Topic author
SiH

Post #3 by SiH » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:57 am

Yep, I will do that thanks Jeremy. Fingers crossed it isnt too serious! ;)

Topic author
SiH

Post #4 by SiH » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:53 pm

Managed to whip the cover off yesterday at last. Luckily, two coil springs had come off of the selector/gearstick,and blocking access to the gear selector by the look of it. I carefully put them back on, and bingo, -we have gear selection once more! The best its been for a long time too.
Weirdly, it started being difficult to select when I lent the dumper to a friend, so bit of a lesson for me there. :|
Cheers for now chaps.

Return to “Dumpers”