Dumper restoration

Discuss dumpers here

essexpete

Re: Dumper restoration

Post #51 by essexpete » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:50 pm

Oil pressure more likely to fall with rising engine temperature.

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #52 by FOWLER MAN » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:17 pm

Studu wrote:Now that my AVA1 is running I noticed that there was no oil circulating up from the oil filter assembly via a pipe up to the rocker box. I thought it was probably choked up with oil sludge so I dismantled the filter housing and cleaned all the compartments, pipes and pressure reducing valves. I checked progress by hand turning and got oil as far as the final reducing valve before it enters the ascending pipe up to the rocker box. Thus I know that the filter assembly is clear but there does not seem to be enough oil pressure to get it up to the rocker box. Any ideas? Does the oil pressure build up when the engine warms up? Could it be an air lock? Do the reducing valves need adjustment?
Thanks
Stewart

Hi,
The flow reducing valve in there behind the banjo bolt at the bottom of the ascending rocker feed pipe has a spring and plunger which can get gummed up or stuck or the small holes can block.
When you remove the banjo bolt from the bottom of the "ascending pipe" you should be able to
slide out a plunger and spring from behind it and clean it up.
If necessary the whole barrel will screw out after removing the banjo and pipe.
The plunger must slide freely in its housing and there is no adjustment.
Has your engine got an external oil filter, some of the early ones didn't. There is an adjustable oil pressure relief valve to set on both types. In the filter head if fitted or in the oil distributor bracket if not,

Fred

Topic author
Studu
Flag: Great Britain

Post #53 by Studu » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:57 pm

I continue to make progress on my old Benford 1 ton dumper. The Petter AVA1 engine starts first pop but I still fail to get oil to the rocker box. I have not run the engine for more than a few minutes at a time ( to avoid the fumes in my garage) and I am hoping that a more prolonged session outdoors will encourage the flow.
I have reassembled the brakes to the front wheels. They are mechanical not hydraulic. Does anyone know of a supplier of spares in the UK? They are very old with UNF fittings. Also, can they be converted to hydraulic?
Stewart

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Post #54 by cobbadog » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:51 am

Sounds like a blockage or stuck valve. Try looking at what Fowler Man has suggested. This is most likely the problem. If not have a look at the pick up pipe and gauze if any in the sump.
Cheers Cobba

Topic author
Studu
Flag: Great Britain

Post #55 by Studu » Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:52 am

Hi there
I followed Fowler Mans advice and checked everything I could. It has an external oil filter which has been cleaned thoroughly. Don’t think it’s sludge in the pipe.
Going to give it a good run soon and see how it goes. The problem at the moment is the brakes. Advice about these old mechanical brakes is thin on the ground.

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Post #56 by cobbadog » Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:07 am

There are no secrets with mechanical brakes all very simple. First make sure your adjustments are correct at the wheel. Some brakes can be adjusted by the turning of a square head bolt sticking out of the backing plate and others need a brake adjusting tool and you need to rotate the little wheel inside up until it locks the wheel then back off about 3 clicks. This is based on drum brakes. Wheels need to be off the ground when adjusting so chock all the other wheels and do one side at a time. Once they are adjusted then you need to lubricate all pivoting points and if you find any free movement in the linkages you need to adjust this out.
It is a job I must do on my Liner Roughrider along with the handbrake.
Cheers Cobba

Return to “Dumpers”