Dumper restoration

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
Studu
Flag: Great Britain

Dumper restoration

Post #1 by Studu » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:37 pm

I was given this old dumper that I found in a hedge. After towing it home, it appears to be whole but in need of much restoration. I think it is a one ton bucket with a gravity tip and it has a Petter AVA1 engine.
Can anyone tell me the make/model? It may be a Petter or a Thwaites or a Johnson????

Thanks
Stewart

todd5

Re: Dumper restoration

Post #2 by todd5 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:14 pm

Looks like an early Benford.

Topic author
Studu

Post #3 by Studu » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:37 pm

Thanks John, I shall look up Benford dumpers.

Stewart

Jeremy Rowland

Post #4 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:47 pm

Hi Stewart welcome to CMN :wave: that's a nice restoration project that you have got for yourself; good luck with it. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Topic author
Studu

Post #5 by Studu » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:46 am

Thank you. I am looking forward to it although I am not setting deadlines as I want to enjoy it.
It has a serial number plate on the chassis and also the engine and gearbox have serial numbers. Any use in identification?

XS650

Post #6 by XS650 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:33 am

Them posh curved rear wings tell me this is a Liner Roughrider , was a machine ever so accurately named !!
This is the 15cwt version which was called the '750' in the seventies and maybe earlier.
There is a fe Liner threads on CMN
Liner site dumper
There is a lot of info about the engines about and sure someone here will know more about the numbers .
Craig

Not all those who wander are lost.

Stewhig

Post #7 by Stewhig » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:04 pm

After a lengthy gap I am now returning to my old Benford (probably) dumper.
It has a Petter AVA1 aircooled single cylinder Diesel engine. Preliminary assessment shows it is complete and turns over very well. The fuel delivery seems poor so I am trying to source a new fuel pump and probably a new injector nozzle. Everything is totally rusted up so I am having difficulty getting the fuel injector off. Any suggestions where I can get a diesel fuel pump? Most of the pumps offered are recons and rather expensive. The ones on eBay I am not sure if they will fit.

essexpete

Post #8 by essexpete » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:54 pm

Is Stewhig the same as Studu?
Craig answered your id question 4 years ago.
:D

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Post #9 by cobbadog » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:51 am

Either with time, patience and hard work you should be able to free up the stuck parts in the pump, I did on a big Lister engine. Or you can buy one at those prices. Unfortunately it is not getting any cheaper to do these toys up any more. I have spent so far way too much on an old crude oil engine but I want this thing running so I spend the money and don't think about it, not becasue I can but because I want to.
Cleaning your fuel system is not as hard as you think and starting with cleaning out the tank, remove the fuel lines one at a time and ensure they are spotless or replace them and you can make your own up cheaply using copper tubing. Clean out the fuel bowl and filter if any and then the rest of the lines to the pump. If it is stuck it is time to carefully work on freeing it up. Start with the least invasive process and work your way up. Start by soaking in diesel and every now and then try moving the parts, use electrolysis to help clean away the rust using a battery charger and an iron anode and washing soda in the water. If still no joy try automatic transmission fluid mixed with acetone. All of these processes will not harm anything but does take time. Again on a regular basis try moving the parts until they actually do move.
Do not strip the pump until you have a workshop manual with an exploded view of the internal and how they fit together unless you are an expert on these pumps. ALWAYS take pictures of every step you do when stripping it down to make sure it goes back together again in the same manor. With pumps you can assemble them wrongly and not get any joy out of it working so be very particular when stripping it. Manuals can be found by Googling your Engine make and model number and sometimes helps with the serial number as well.
Cheers Cobba

Stewhig

Post #10 by Stewhig » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:44 pm

Thank you for the replies.
Yes, Studu is the same as Stewhig.
My fuel pump moves ok but spits out a minimal dose of diesel and I was wondering if there are leaky seals within. I can get fuel to the injection nozzle but its a rather impotent result.
I heed the advice regarding dismantling without a manual!!!!!

Return to “Dumpers”