Liner Roughrider Brakes

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
oldbikeles

Liner Roughrider Brakes

Post #1 by oldbikeles » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:14 pm

I have a liner "Rough Rider" which stood for about one year without any running. Now I need to get on and finish a long standing drainage job, so I started it and drove to where I need it. Brakes were just about U/S, time for service.
The drums were badly rusted, and the linings badly worn out. I cleaned the drums by rotating in my lathe at about 100rpm, whilst holding a three cornered scraper firmly against it. It took about 10 mins each to get them quite clean again.
The brakes themselves are Lockheed, having a rather strange expanding block operated by the brake rod. I found linings on Ebay for Vauxhall Cresta. SOME (but not all it seems) Hillman Hunters share the same shoes. One photo of a set of shoes shows them to have Ferodo F1024L linings.
One of my return springs had the hook end broken off, but again Ebay came to the rescue. There are two springs, one with a single central spring, approx 135mm hook end to hook end. The broken one was the type with a spring section at each end, and a straight section in the middle. This type is 145mm hook end to hook end. I could not locate the shorter spring, but hopefully no breakage on reassembly.
I just thought this info may be helpful to any other Rough Rider owner.
Les.

Return to “Dumpers”