Early Benford dumper, drive belt slipping

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
Mark Chandler

Early Benford dumper, drive belt slipping

Post #1 by Mark Chandler » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:46 pm

Hello, newbie to this forum with a couple of old toys

Powerfab 180c digger & Benford dumper, circa 1951/1953, chassis number looks like LB4096 fitted with 6hp single cylinder ava1 petter

I started using these for small building projects around my house, the problem I have is with the dumper, 1 x forward and 1 x reverse gear with belt drive, purchased as running but not driving.

I have fitted a new belt, does anyone have any manuals showing how the clutch mechanism should work please, I have had to make up a new actuating rod but get the feeling that I have incorrect leverage ratios leading to an overly heavy pedal. If I wind up greater tension in the spring to get better grip on the belt the pedal becomes to heavy to use effectively.

Here's a picture of it hiding behind my digger, I'll get some better ones once I have dug it out, currently stuck in mud :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

skt600

Re: Early Benford dumper, drive belt slipping

Post #2 by skt600 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:15 pm

ive got the same dumper and having the same problem under load the drive belt just slips any advise would be great

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #3 by FOWLER MAN » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:28 am

It's 45 years ago now and I don't remember much about the belt setup.
We did use a resin based aerosol belt dressing on them. If that was in short supply the lads would throw a hand full of sugar ino the belt to get grip, that worked too. :thumbup:

I remember an old school opperator using sugar on a slipping travel clutch in a 19RB to get it out of a hole. It worked fine but the clutch stuck and wouldn't dissengage. :thumbdown: The thing charged through a boundary wall before the pannicking opperator dissengaged the main clutch. :doh: :lol: :lol:

Topic author
Mark Chandler

Post #4 by Mark Chandler » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:30 am

Thank you Fowler Man, the clutch is very simple, you have an idler pulley that is sprung loaded, all the clutch does is work against the spring to pull it out.

There are a couple of adjustments, one on the pedal the other is the length of the rod across the chassis, also the pivot arms have a selection of drilled holes.

I can lighten the pedal by by playing with the pivot holes but then the clutch/belt drags leading to crunchy gear changes, go the other way and I have to stand on the clutch pedal, I suspect it's just how they were made then.

It's a new belt BTW so should have plenty of bite.

Regards Mark

Arwel

Post #5 by Arwel » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:18 pm

Can anyone tell me where to buy a drive belt for an early Benford dumper and other parts for it?
Regards

Arwel

dumperthumper

Post #6 by dumperthumper » Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:27 pm

I keep the original red band drive belts and the secomastic antislip capsules for them. I keep manybofvthe clutch actuator components, king pins, axle pivot bushes, brake components, gearbox gears, shafts etc, all steering box components, based in York.

BenfordLE
Flag: Great Britain

Post #7 by BenfordLE » Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:56 pm

dumperthumper wrote:I keep the original red band drive belts and the secomastic antislip capsules for them. I keep many of the clutch actuator components, king pins, axle pivot bushes, brake components, gearbox gears, shafts etc, all steering box components, based in York.

Hello! I also have a Benford LE with drive belt issues and a few other bits of maintenance required but can't find any details through google of how to buy parts from you. How do we find you?

BenfordLE
Flag: Great Britain

Post #8 by BenfordLE » Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:08 pm

I got the belt drive sorted.

After a lot of local enquiries (nobody would post belt dressings off the mainland) and visiting six people locally who 'would definitely have it' I took the belt off, sanded the glaze off, depolished the drive roller with a coarse file, and slathered the belt in Stockholm tar at the advice of a neighbour who is into traction engines.

It now works perfectly, and smells like the best bits of old workshops and museums.

I used Vanner and Press Stockholm Vegetable Tar, 'for veterinary and agricultural purposes'. It has a royal warrant so it must be what the queen uses on her belt drives.

Return to “Dumpers”