1 ton dumper with v5 taxation class dvla problem

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
ivorputput

1 ton dumper with v5 taxation class dvla problem

Post #1 by ivorputput » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:04 pm

hi i own a 1 ton 30 year old dumper with v5 stated as it being a works truck, i need to go on roads to get materials for a large garden , to cover any problems with police or accidents i insured it and got a tax disc (free) from post office,
a few weeks later letters from dvla ask me to return tax disc as it is for a works truck and being a private individual i have to change the taxation class to under 3500kg and buy a tax disc
does anyone have experience of changing a construction machine or tractor to private light goods vehicle
does it then become subject to mot i know as a works truck it is exempt from an mot

usedjcbdave
Flag: Great Britain

Re: 1 ton dumper with v5 taxation class dvla problem

Post #2 by usedjcbdave » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:30 pm

I would return all the paperwork you have to your local LVLO office (before it shuts for good !) and apply for a Special Vehicle taxation class which does not require an MOT as construction vehicles are exempt.Good luck !

XS650
Flag: Great Britain

Post #3 by XS650 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:23 pm

Start carrying loads on public roads though and it can lead to all sorts of problems . The free tax etc concessions are only for travelling between sites empty
Not all those who wander are lost.

Topic author
ivorputput

Post #4 by ivorputput » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:21 pm

thanks , from what i have learned so far, i have to tax it as under 1500cc engine size a private light goods, pay the £140 or whatever rate, and use a v112 mot exemption and at same time apply to have log book changed to some new tax class special vehicle or plg
then live happily ever after shifting my muck and stones in local vicinity ,
in other words nothing much has changed except i will have paid to use roads in instead of getting a free tax disc,
will businesses still be getting a free works truck tax? is this change simply due to my private use ?
maybe i will keep eyes open for an older machine that will be tax free

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #5 by FOWLER MAN » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:39 pm

Hi,
Another considderation may be the fuel you use.
I was stopped and cautioned a few years ago by HM Customs & Excise for traveling an unloaded dumper between sites using Gas Oil (red diesel).
Fred

martyn williams

Post #6 by martyn williams » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:59 pm

Another thing to look out for with old vehicles,I sold my Fergie 15 years ago it had a numberplate and a reg certificate.I sent the change of ownership slip to the DVLA.Then two years ago I was fined for not showing it as SORN.the problem was caused by the DVLA not receiving the paperwork,the new owner, years later, taxed the T20 and the DVLA noticed it.It took ages to fight not to get fined but they conceded in the end due to timescale. :dizzy:
Martyn

duncanbridge

Post #7 by duncanbridge » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:10 am

I have within the last few days visited a DVLA office. They were very helpful. I needed a registration doc and Q plate for a Benford 15cwt. Had to go for private light goods. No type approval needed as works vehicles are exempt. Cost me £190 for first registration and road tax. IF I can prove dumper is pre 1973 then I can go tax exempt as a historic vehicle, but proving is going to be difficult without a VIN and the plate was removed some time ago. Am now working on proving age via engine and gearbox numbers. Hope this factual account of an on going event helps. But to repeat I did find my local office helpful and they clearly explained why they had come to the conclusion they have.

Oh yes and I have been given a VIN whIch I must stamp onto the chassis and obtain formal confirmation of that stamping before paperwork will be finally completed.

Next step is for me to try to contact someone in Terex who can help me with dating.

Return to “Dumpers”