LAST BELL B40D'S TO LEAVE LEEMOOR CHINA CLAY WORKS

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
Jim M
Flag: Great Britain

LAST BELL B40D'S TO LEAVE LEEMOOR CHINA CLAY WORKS

Post #1 by Jim M » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:17 pm

Here are the last Bell B40D adt's that were working at Imery's china clay quarry at Lee Moor on the edge of Dartmoor.These machines are from national plant hirer Hydrex Ltd.Hydrex came in under contract to remove china clay deposits and to shift sand and stent which is the by-product of the china clay industry,and with a 9 to 1 ratio their is a lot of it move.
I worked at Lee moor about 6 or 7 years ago driving various plant mainly dozers and wheel loaders and doing my stint on the dumpers as well.Also I'm including other pics i took of other Hydrex equipment in the same yard,these include a Komatsu D155ax dozer (with Galeo cab),a Hydrema 912 with Humphrey fuel bowser,a Cat 140h grader,two Komatsu pc450lc Excavators and two komatsu 470 wheel loaders.

Jim :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RichardJW~

Re: LAST BELL B40D'S TO LEAVE LEEMOOR CHINA CLAY WORKS

Post #2 by RichardJW~ » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:22 am

Jim,

What's happening up there now has it virtually closed down?

An Uncle of mine used to work up there in the late '60s & early '70s.

All the best
Richard

Topic author
Jim M

Post #3 by Jim M » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:36 pm

Well Richard,we all know that British industry is been in decline for a number of years now and this hasn't been good for the china clay industry either.When the French company Imerys took over from the previous ECLP/ECC INTERNATIONAL company they seemed they were going to work wonders and sh*t miracle's.All you have to do is look at the situation in st.Austell Cornwall to see what has happened to give you whole picture.
With cheaper produced clay coming in from South America is it any wonder its happened,i feel sorry for all the people this has affected :( .

Devon and Cornwall i have been told have some of the finest reserves of china clay in the world so when the rest of this foreign clay runs out lets hope are once thriving industry can come good again.

All the best
JIM :) ps don't let the *astards grind you down :lol:

IBH

Post #4 by IBH » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:14 pm

Imerys did announce the closure of Lee Moor pit and a major reduction in its operations in Devon and Cornwall as it focused production of certain products on its Brazilian Kaolin operations; however:
The china clay quarry at Lee Moor, Devon , is to remain open after WBB Minerals hasmade a deal with the existing owners, Imerys, who are pulling out next year with the loss of about 90 jobs. The planned closure is part of the ongoing scaling back of Imerys' operations in the UK , making about 600 of its 2000 workforce redundant.

WBB Minerals, which already owns several neighbouring quarries, has announced that it will invest £6 million into the quarry and surrounding areas to safeguard the future of its operations in the area. However the company will make 10 staff redundant from the current 65-strong workforce by 2009. WBB will also take over Hemerdon Quarry which is being leased to them by Imerys. The waste products from the Lee Moor quarry will go to backfilling and restoring the nearby Shaugh Quarry, also owned by WBB Minerals, which is due to close in 5 years. Imerys will retain 50 staff at the Lee Moor site to operate a calcining heat treatment plant.

Source:
http://www.bgs.ac.uk/mineralsuk/industr ... ov.html#CC

Topic author
Jim M

Post #5 by Jim M » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:12 pm

Good bit of info there IBH .

I forgot to include that WBB MINERALS had done a deal with IMERYS over LEE MOOR pit,funny really as i only left working at the WBB Headon and Shaugh pits last august when i worked for Chepstow plant.I stand corrected :oops: .Sorry for the lack of input :lol:

All the best ,a rather red faced
Jim :oops:

Jocke

Post #6 by Jocke » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:51 pm

do you have any closer pics of the hydrema 912? 8-)
jocke

Return to “Dumpers”