SHAWNEE POOLE

Discuss dumpers here

DaveS

Re: SHAWNEE POOLE

Post #21 by DaveS » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:25 pm

Apparently some had Ford or International power units of 96 and 70 HP (Giant Dumprucks, Nick Baldwin, 1984). I notice that the one shown in his book has an offset cab, not with the seat inline with the bonnet like a pure tractor derived design.

There was a bit about them in Classic Plant a long while back, working on a reservoir in the home counties IIRC.

Dave. S.

Topic author
FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #22 by FOWLER MAN » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:34 am

Hi
Heres more competition from the 60's .This time from Whitllock,I don't know anything about them, dont think they made many.

Fred
img124.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DaveS

Post #23 by DaveS » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:46 am

Hi Fred,

I think Craig (XS650) has more info on the Whitlocks and may have posted some in another thread. They made three models of the 'DD' dumper in your picture and there were certainly a few around our area, but Whitlocks were quite popular up here generally :)

Their dumper line ended with a quite futuristic four-wheel-drive hydrostatic machine with the operator sitting right up the front.

Dave. S.

Topic author
FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #24 by FOWLER MAN » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:58 pm

DaveS wrote:Hi Fred

Their dumper line ended with a quite futuristic four-wheel-drive hydrostatic machine with the operator sitting right up the front.

Dave. S.

Hello dave,
Think I found this photo of the Whitlock you mentioned on the net.
It was the "105", 12 ton capacity with a 105 h.p.engine.
img023.jpg
An ugly brute. I wonder how many were made??
Fred.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fowler VF

Post #25 by Fowler VF » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:50 am

That goose neck drawbar was an important part of the concept of the Shawnee Poole, it gave weight transfer onto the tractor drive wheels and gave excellent manouverability. But with a heavy load or going uphill the transfer could be excessive and you lost the weight on the front axle and had no steering; diif brakes would then come into play. There was a safety bar on the hitch that prevented the hitch jacknifing vertically and allowing the tractor to go over backwards. I remember a site in the 70's where they were hauling muck out to make an irrigation lake and there was a near fatality with one of these. Safety bar was either missing or faulty, the tractor reared up and then went right over backwards, driver was pinned between the hitch and the steering wheel. I saw the machine afterwards, steering wheel all smashed and a big hole in the bonnet where some quick thinking operator had dropped a bucket onto the front of the tractor to bring it down again and release the driver. I always shiver when I see one of those damn Shawnees!!

martind29

Post #26 by martind29 » Sat May 15, 2010 12:15 am

downgraded to shawnee poole's after driving 631 b's for w & c french and dick hampton's. far more character than a volvo 861, but not as much as a moxy d16 b. i would drive one tomorrow if i had a chance. lots of good memories with buckingham plant on one.

modelman093
Flag: Great Britain

Post #27 by modelman093 » Sat May 15, 2010 11:21 pm

Was looking through some old photos for something entirely different and came across this taken at a gravel pit near Chelmsford in about 1963!
Angus

pk1200

Post #28 by pk1200 » Sat May 15, 2010 11:46 pm

Great old action photo there Angus including the scraper in the background.Thanks for that.

Return to “Dumpers”