Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
This'lldo
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Front wheel steering dumper?

Post #21 by This'lldo » Wed May 25, 2022 8:24 pm

Progress continues.
A couple of queries:
Having sorted out the belt drive roller system (With the the belt running across the chassis) Part of the mechanism seems to provide a transmission brake of some sort acting on the inside of the gearbox pully. We have the pivot, lever and connecting link but no actual brake shoe which woud seem to have been mounted in a tapered hole in the arm's end.
Is this brake any actual use? Is it also fitted to, what I assume is the later type of GF dumper, with the belt drive alongside the off side wheel?

My other question relates to the front wheels on our GF. I am told they are not the original pair. Its said that as they had good tyres on "somebody had them". I know its a long shot, but is there any chance of getting a correct pair? Only possible I Imagine, if they were as used on some more common vehicle.

Pete.

Topic author
This'lldo

Post #22 by This'lldo » Tue May 16, 2023 3:56 pm

Its been a while.
But its nearly there. Nearly running. I got a drive belt fitted on Sunday and we thought it was ready to run. But as I'm still a bit clueless on deisels
(though not as bad as I was) the fuel pump side of things needed re fettling, but its back together now and maybe tomorrow it will run.
So hopefully she will be a runner for "Steam on the Levels" this weekend. This is Weston Zoyland Pumping Station Museum's biggest event of the year. Saturday 20th & Sunday 21st May 10am-5pm. Classic vehicles, traction engines vintage farm equipment narrow gauge railway and live blacksmith. So if you can make it, do come and say hello. I'll be somewhere near the gorgeously scarlet George Fowell Dumper.
No picture of the finished machine yet. I've been too busy spannering. But from this weekend pics will be attached.

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Post #23 by cobbadog » Mon May 22, 2023 7:25 am

How did you go with that brake shoe part you mentioned? Hopefully you have not altered your spill timing but unsure what part of the fuel system you have taken apart. Always best to show pics of what you talk about as some descrfiptions are not familiar. Hope you do get to the Rally and hopefully some pics too.
Cheers Cobba

Topic author
This'lldo

Post #24 by This'lldo » Thu May 25, 2023 12:12 pm

I thought I had replied to this but it has not appeared.
The brake on the gearbox pully seems to be a transmission brake but we decided to see if leaving it off was a viable option for the kind of use it will get. The reason for this is that the aluminium pulley has worn very thin and there being no easy way to repair it, we reckon its best to avoid operating a brake shoe on it. The 10" drum brakes on the rear wheels are now fully refurbished and should be adequate.
At our Steam on the Levels weekend, we did have a go at starting the Petter. At first it had very little compression, but produced a few bangs and compression then became good. We then got it running, and boy did it run! Revs soared and we could not control them! This attracted quite a crowd with various suggestions. We left it for a while and had another go later but it wouldn't play ball.
We are confident that the recon fuel injector is Ok. Those who know say it has "a very good spray pattern". We suspect the various rods and springs around the fuel pump (which is also a recon item) the speeder rod etc.. Unfortunately we have no photos of the set up on either the old AVA1 motor or the replacement one now fitted but I do remember that was slightly different.
I took the opprtunity to look around at our show. No AVA1's in evidence, but a couple of AVA2's and I got close up photos of their set ups. One of these was on a nicely done up Thwaits but I didn't get to chat with the owner.
Unfortunately I do not seem to be able to attach photos from my phone. When I get that sorted I will certainly provide illustrations.

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Post #25 by cobbadog » Fri May 26, 2023 1:47 pm

some forums need images to be compressed as the files are too big. In time you may be able to repair the pulley for the hand brake or find another one. I found it handy to have a park brake as ground is not always level.
Cheers Cobba

Topic author
This'lldo

Post #26 by This'lldo » Sat May 27, 2023 12:00 am

Handbrake on the GF is egaged by a hand operated sprag engaging with a ratchet which hold the brake pedal dow and brake on. Crude but it works.

Warthog

Post #27 by Warthog » Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:08 pm

Hi,

I've just seen your thread. I have one of these GF dumpers - the Weston Zoyland one was the only other example that I'd ever seen. Mine's fully up and running so if you want to come up and see the arrangement etc then pm me. I'm not far away from Bridgewater.
The brake on the gearbox input shaft is absolutely necessary. It stops the input shaft when changing gear - mostly from neutral into fwd or rev. Without the brake you'll destroy the gearbox shifting splines. The trick is how to set up this brake alongside the main brakes because you don't want the input shaft brake to be doing the dumper braking but there are springs on the linkage that will moderate the pressure pending the main brakes engaging.
Cheers
Brian

Topic author
This'lldo

Post #28 by This'lldo » Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:39 pm

Hi.
Thanks for that.
The ally gearbo pully is worn so much, presumably by the brake action, that a hole is developing. This is why we did not sort out a brake on the pulley.
The GF is now up and running but has been very little used but your warning tallies exactly with how I have stuggled with gear selection.
Considering the use it will get I doubt if the "holy" belt pulley will develope into a serious problem at all soon.
I would very much like to come and see how the brake is set up on yours and compare notes generally.
I would have posted photos but I have forgotten how !
Pete.

Warthog

Post #29 by Warthog » Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:49 pm

Hi Pete,

Here's a pic at the start of my 'restoration' - actually just getting it going again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
This'lldo

Post #30 by This'lldo » Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:11 am

That looks very similar. We have the arm that reaches up to the pulley, but not what is on the end of it. Also ours does not have the 6 large holes in the back of the drum.

Return to “Dumpers”