Vintage shows

Do you know about any events or fairs, please let us know

Topic author
martyn williams

Vintage shows

Post #1 by martyn williams » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:04 pm

Just been reading an article on the cost of staging the G D S F. Its £1.8 million.It states that because of red tape and other costs,they have not been able to make donations to charity for the last two years.
I have organised rallies for a number of years,the way things are going they will just fade out as the costs increase.This cost is past on to joe public who are already screwed by fuel and food prices.
The HSE was set up to protect the workforce,but has strangled the vintage movement with some stupid rules that can create more hazzards than they get rid of.
I organised a local rally a few years back that was held within the Cardiff county council boundary.They insisted that ALL our signage was bilingual.This put extra cost on the event,this had to be covered by rally income or out of funds.
I think this country is f*****, it makes me mad that all the hard work put in by organisers to raise cash for charities is bled away by the red tape brigade. :evil: :evil:
Martyn

Martyn Henley
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Vintage shows

Post #2 by Martyn Henley » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:36 pm

Hi Martyn, I agree with you there, and its just not the vintage rallies that this problem occours, even carnivals, air displays, village fetes etc etc are being effected by this risk assessment, policing, politicaly correct and red tape world we live in, and they all want their cut, pushing up prices and forcing events to be cancelled, never to reappear again, it is sad the way this country has gone, i noticed though that gay pride events are never affected :o
And the saddest thing of all ..is that it wont ever get better :x

Martyn

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #3 by martyn williams » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:59 pm

Your right there Martyn.Another problem is that you get the entry forms in and sort out the room required for exhibitors,then the don't turn up or leave the event early.Last month I was asked to attend two events on the same weekend.I had to put in some extra work but made both events as I don't like letting organisers down as I have been in their position.
On top of every thing,you have then got the great British weather to contend with :dizzy: .This alone can wreck the event and push smaller clubs finances in the poo.
There are a lot of hard working dedicated people out there that work there butts off to help put an event together.The recent ACMOC events were a great success due to these people.
Long may they continue :thumbs_up:
Martyn

Nick Drew

Post #4 by Nick Drew » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:07 pm

Well Said You Two!! :thumbs_up:

Nick ;)

Neversweat

Post #5 by Neversweat » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:17 pm

Nick Drew wrote:Well Said You Two!! :thumbs_up:

Nick ;)

I agree , H & S will be the death of a lot of these type of events. Health and Safety and all this political correctness the worlds gone mad :dizzy:

Unsurprisingly the U.K are the most compliant E.U country we enforce while the rest ignore :evil:

Steve :thumbs_up:

Martyn Henley

Post #6 by Martyn Henley » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:37 pm

Unsurprisingly the U.K are the most compliant E.U country we enforce while the rest ignore

Spot on there Steve, it has to be down to the "jobs worth" mentality we seem to breed so well here, but it also follows the way the legal system works at the moment with its no win no fee lawyers we have kicking around in the gutter looking for a quick buck .. like dam vultures :evil: all this adds up to a country that to be honest, is stuffed ..

Martyn

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #7 by martyn williams » Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:40 pm

I don't think we have very many British owned companies in the UK.The firm I work for was privitised in 1997,it is now owned by DB,German railways.A lot of the other rail companies are French owned.
It will need a brave person in the UK government to get a grip on things.
Going back to the vintage shows,I think a lot of the smaller clubs will fold up.The insurance costs are rocketing,because of the possibility of claims if someone falls over a cowpat in a show field.Another problem I have noticed in the last few years is the uncontrolled kids jumping on exhibits.The parents just say kids will be kids.There seems a total lack of respect for machinery that has taken ages to restore.Even with please do not climb signs on them!!
Last week. at the West Midlands Safari park,I saw cars in the park with windows open.The kids were leaning out of the windows yards away from the lions :dizzy: The rangers had to shout at the kids parents to get them inside the cars and shut the windows.
What is going on in the country :?:
If that happened at a vintage show it would be closed down.
Has this country gone mad? When I have visited Germany,France and Italy the youngsters there seem better behaved and very polite. Or do our European friends have a similar problem?

nick lamb

Post #8 by nick lamb » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:50 pm

Martyn,I hope you have completed a risk assesment and have a work permit to subscribe to this thread.Are you wearing a hard hat whilst you bang your head against a wall?????
:lol: :lol:

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #9 by martyn williams » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:26 pm

Hello Nicky
I have carried out a full risk assesment,there is a possibility I might fall off my chair or choke on a jammy dodger.
I have made a full report for the HSE :lol:
Martyn

Martyn Henley

Post #10 by Martyn Henley » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:41 pm

Hi Martyn ..have you enough water down that way ? that will soak the jammy dodger up

Martyn

Return to “Events”