ALC, who now run the army engineer fleet

Show us military equipment in here

Topic author
davej

ALC, who now run the army engineer fleet

Post #1 by davej » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:24 am

Seen as this got mentioned in the 972 thread, i thought i'd put some more info as i work for ALC's preferred haulage provider!

the theory is as most of the engineers kit was spead far and wide and not doing a right lot!, ALC would condense and modernise the fleet, for example we were moving D6d's covered in cobwebs and moss, with less than 300hrs on the clock, that had been sat around doing nothing, so most have these have gone, with D5n replacing them

so all this kit is based at a series of pools around the country, and when the army bods request a piece of kit, we take it from the pool to the unit or wherever they want to use it, for example a regular haunt is a quarry in halifax, where a bunch of drill rigs, loaders, dumpers, go drill, moveit round the site, and then about a fortnight later we go back retrieve it and take it back to wherever it lives or is needed

the basic fleet machines are things such as LWT (Light Wheeled Tractor) Case 721 cxt, fitted with quick hitch, and lots of addon front end equipment, such as tyre changers, trackway dispensers etc,

i've got a big file of pics called the alc equipmen catalogue on my computer here at work, i'd post some stuff but theres all kinds of wittering about the mod offcial publications etc...on it so i'd best not!

According to the spec we have, the British armoured heavy wheel tractors are Based on Cat 980g's they used to be Terex based with the the GM 2-stroke and weighed in around 58t!,

and as the office plant anorak, i get asked a lot, "can this go on with this" so when they wanted to move an AHWT, with the 12t piling gear, snow bucket, it was a firm "no bloody way, thats 2 loads at least!", if memory serves me right they are quite popular in northern ireland, i ve seen a pic of a line of 4 AHWT's with 4 uparmoured case 721's

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
my mumblings and general witterings....http://normanshowse.blogspot.com/

Return to “Military Equipment”