HOT HYMAC

Show us bogged in machines here

Topic author
newjcb123uk

HOT HYMAC

Post #1 by newjcb123uk » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:23 pm

Nightmare senario - Beautiful Hymac 590 goes up in smoke in the middle of my shed last week. JP was told to cut and weld mesh panels for this machine that is bound for export to Nigeria (No chance of buying it back from there :cry: ) Turns out the guys cleared off for lunch and so did I . I'm thinking someone was still in the yard and turns out the lads thougt I was still in the yard - so for about 15 mins the yard was completly empty of people and therefore supervision :doh: Of course what happens in that type of situation??? Yes a fire has to start from a smouldering spark compliments of JPs welding. The lads returned to see black smoke bellowing out of the poor Hymac and flames licking my shed roof :insomnia:

I came back just after the worst of it and totally cracked up as I couldn't believe that the lads had let the fire progress to the extent that it did - or so I thought. When we all found out that it had started when no one had been actually there we counted our blessings that the shed was still standing.

Lots of money on new hoses, new oil and new injector pipes and with a few groans from the pumps the old dear moved albeit a little slower than before the fire. :thumbs_up:

Have to say we were well stocked with new fire extinguishers of every type and if it wern't for these I'm afraid my shed and my entire model and brochure collection would have gone up in smoke and I'd a cried forever. Least it didn't start after we closed up to go home otherwise it would have been a very different story. :roll:

Close call :oops:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"A man reaps what he sows"

modelman093
Flag: Great Britain

Re: HOT HYMAC

Post #2 by modelman093 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:41 am

A lucky escape!
When I managed an HGV and plant workshop in the 60s we had a rule - "No arcing or sparking within half an hour of finishing" and the workshop was never left empty at lunch time. I apply the same rule today in my garden and grounds-care machinery workshop but on a lighter note we have a phantom alarm "setter offer" . Twice in the last fortnight - maybe an electrical glitch or maybe a mouse! Anyway the alarm man is coming on Monday to check out the system as the local Plod take a dim view of such goings on and operate a three strikes and your out policy for false alarms and stop responding.
Angus

Neversweat

Post #3 by Neversweat » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:25 am

Blimey that was a close shave....any chance of your lottery numbers :D :D

Steve :thumbs_up:

Topic author
newjcb123uk

Post #4 by newjcb123uk » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:48 pm

modelman093 wrote:A lucky escape!
When I managed an HGV and plant workshop in the 60s we had a rule - "No arcing or sparking within half an hour of finishing" and the workshop was never left empty at lunch time. I apply the same rule today in my garden and grounds-care machinery workshop but on a lighter note we have a phantom alarm "setter offer" . Twice in the last fortnight - maybe an electrical glitch or maybe a mouse! Anyway the alarm man is coming on Monday to check out the system as the local Plod take a dim view of such goings on and operate a three strikes and your out policy for false alarms and stop responding.
Angus

Hey Angus - good idea except my lads would only take the policy that they would down tools an hour before closing (any excuse - they really do take the P :dizzy: )

Ive had major alarm trouble too but police!!! forget it I've had a few robberies in the last few years and Plod turns up THE NEXT DAY to inform me that there was a robbery - Red care!!! Red couldn't care less :x

Topic author
newjcb123uk

Post #5 by newjcb123uk » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:51 pm

Neversweat wrote:Blimey that was a close shave....any chance of your lottery numbers :D :D

Steve :thumbs_up:

Yes Steve - unfortunately the winning ticket was burnt in the fire - :roll:
:lol:

Jeremy Rowland

Post #6 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:18 pm

Chris its a real shame about the 590 :cry: I think a few lessons can be learnt here and the first one I would suggest would be to take either your model or brochure collection home so if the worst should ever happen again you wouldn't loose both of them :idea:

Jeremy

modelman093

Post #7 by modelman093 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:50 pm

[Hey Angus - good idea except my lads would only take the policy that they would down tools an hour before closing (any excuse - they really do take the P :dizzy: )

Ive had major alarm trouble too but police!!! forget it I've had a few robberies in the last few years and Plod turns up THE NEXT DAY to inform me that there was a robbery - Red care!!! Red couldn't care less :x[/quote]

Oh well, looks as though it's down to the Boss to stay late and have a last look round - nothing new there then!!!!
Further to the suggestion of taking the collections home I suggest taking pics of the models and indexing the brochures and keeping them in a different location from the items themselves. Same goes for the business records - back-up onto a memory stick every night and take it home. If the worst happens it's no big problem to get a new 'puter and be up and running. Oh yes - do take the memory stick out of trouser pocket before putting them through a hot wash and spin - amazingly it did work after that treatment but not for long!
Angus

Angus

Topic author
newjcb123uk

Post #8 by newjcb123uk » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:18 pm

Yes Jeremy and Angus in complete anorack style my tears would have been for my extensive model and brochure collection and not the shed and it's contents. I have still quite a lot at home too and the battle for space proved a problem so my solution was to bring it to work and have it somewhere I could see it regulary. Have to say an added bonus is when a punter comes up into my office they can tell I'm well into my diggers and they don't feel so bull s@itted. :)

Don't know if I've showed these pics on this site before but here they are :thumbs_up:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Renaultman

Post #9 by Renaultman » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:45 am

Looks like you used a few extingushers. Thats too close to call. It would have been a bad one to loose a classic.

Topic author
newjcb123uk

Post #10 by newjcb123uk » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:45 pm

Yes Geraint 12 in total and one brand new one refused to work - (was raging - lucky I wasn't relying on just this dodgy one :evil: ) Will have my tanker standing by on stand-by in the future. :thumbs_up:

Return to “Accidents and Bogged in machines”