Derailed compact

Show us bogged in machines here

Topic author
Robban_C

Derailed compact

Post #1 by Robban_C » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:59 pm

Suddenly it stopped traveling. Not that strange that it stopped!
But there are another strange thing here. I have derailed twice. This was the second time and the first time was 1,5 years ago. On the same property! Just 20 meters west of where the machine is standing on those pics.
How could it be that the only two times it happens is on the same place? First time when I did the foundations (correct word?) for the house and the workshop and second time now that I´m finishing the property and preparing for grass etc.

And one more strange thing:
The fuel pump broke the first time I was here. Not the high pressure injector pump but the electric feed pump. I changed it to another used one that I had as an emergency repair.
Well, that one ran perfect until I came back to this property!
Now it is changed to a brand new pump.

I´m definitely not superstitious but sometimes you start to wonder what´s happening.

Anyway, the site I´m working at is nice and the owner is a very good customer.
I´ll get pics from the job next week when I´m done there.

Holger, do you remember that someone (dogen?) asked on Maskinisten about derailing and he had such trouble mounting the tracks? I said that two tracks could be changed in one evening by anyone.
Well, it took 35 minutes to mount this track including searching for tools etc. I´m sure that a change of both tracks could be done in one hour at home where all tools are available.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Volvo EC45 PRO -06
Volvo EC35 -01
MB-Trac 800 turbo
Bigab 10-14 hook lift trailer
MF 3165, Poor Ferguson

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/RobbanxC

Nick Drew

Re: Derailed compact

Post #2 by Nick Drew » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:11 pm

Hi Robban,

Well thats spooky!! I had a track off (As we call it here in the UK) last week on the Takeuchi TB145 that I am currently operating, whilst grading stone I managed to get some stones trapped in amongst the Idler and as I turned the track just jumped off !! :cry:

I let out the grease from the track adjuster and lifted the track back on in around 25 minutes.

I think the rubber tracks come off far too easily! isnt it about time that they designed some kind of track guides like are fitted to larger steel track machines?? :|

Nick :mrgreen:

Topic author
Robban_C

Post #3 by Robban_C » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:44 am

I forgot to write one important thing:
About 30 seconds before that track went off I thought that "It´s time to run the tracks in the air for a few seconds to free them from stones and gravel". 30 seconds!

25 minutes? Ok, next time I´ll do it in 24. :mrgreen:

It was probably some stones in my track as well. You see what material I work on.

Yes, the tracks comes off to easy. I don´t know if extra tensioning would help but that doesn´t feel right. Maybe very little extra tensioning.
And track guides that look like "small steel skids" inside the tracks might wear a lot on the rubber unless the tracks are reconstructed to have steel on the inside. What about rolls inside the track?

Seems that I have to make a pic to show what I mean. I´ll get back.
Volvo EC45 PRO -06
Volvo EC35 -01
MB-Trac 800 turbo
MF 3165, Poor Ferguson

Topic author
Robban_C

Post #4 by Robban_C » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:58 am

The red lines are the "small steel skids" and the yellow dots are rollers outside the under carriage. Of course there has to be the same construction on the inside of the tracks to effectively prevent them from coming off.
Either construction will also make the digger more stable sideways as it gets effectively broader, just like the assymetrical tracks on newer Yanmar but without the extra cost when buying new tracks. And as you all know you never have to much stability on a compact.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Volvo EC45 PRO -06
Volvo EC35 -01
MB-Trac 800 turbo
MF 3165, Poor Ferguson

Return to “Accidents and Bogged in machines”