Ford/Richier H-42

Discuss excavators here

Topic author
brekkjen

Ford/Richier H-42

Post #1 by brekkjen » Sun May 22, 2011 9:34 pm

Hi everybody, new guy on here.
I've recently aquired an old Ford H-42 (1974) It's been sitting for some years but is in working order.
I was wondering if anyone on here had any information about these excavators. I believe they where made by a french company, Richier for Ford but it's very little information to be found about them.
I'm intersted in as much informaton as possible, if anyone would happen to have any manuals lying around I would be very interested in them.

Thanks
Leif

Nick Drew

Re: Ford/Richier H-42

Post #2 by Nick Drew » Sun May 22, 2011 9:58 pm

Hi Leif,

Welcome to CMN, I would love to see some photos of your H42, I worked for a UK company back in the late70's early 80's that ran one but inever spent any time on the machine myself, as you say yes they were built by French company Richier.

Nick

Topic author
brekkjen

Post #3 by brekkjen » Mon May 23, 2011 11:20 am

Here is a videoclip of it just started up after several years left unattended outside. Engine was stuck but soaked the cylinders in oil and diesel overnight, added a new battery and it fired right up :)

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dISSh62k-mU[/video]

Martyn Henley
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by Martyn Henley » Mon May 23, 2011 11:35 am

Ugly brute aint it ..and what a beautiful background

Martyn

Topic author
brekkjen

Post #5 by brekkjen » Mon May 23, 2011 10:00 pm

:) Yeah it's not the most elegant machine around that's for sure :)
And for the background, I'll post some new pictures of it from the "right" side of that lake u see there..... :)

Topic author
brekkjen

Post #6 by brekkjen » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:30 pm

OK, here it is again, summer this time
It's had a oil and filter changes, greased up, some rust scraped of and one coat of paint applied. The electric has been rewired, dynamo and regulator replaced with an alternator from a car.
Then its been working on moving a whole lot of stone.
It has performed the job very well so far, just one blown hydraulic hose so far.

IMG_3364.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #7 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:50 pm

Its looking good Leif :thumbup: please keep us updated on any restoration that you do on this classic machine. Thanks for posting.

Jeremy

Topic author
brekkjen

Post #8 by brekkjen » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:52 am

Thanks Jeremy, I willl.

And if anyone have any information, manuals, parts sources or anything related to Ford/Richier machines I'm still interested. :)

Leif

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #9 by FOWLER MAN » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:10 am

Hi,
I first came across these Richier excavators in 1965. :|
They were called The Clark Oleomat then and marketed by SLD Olding the Clark Michigan distributors in the UK.
Clark Oleomat.jpg
They brought one, together with a Michigan loading shovel, to our site on demmonstration.
It was quite impressive, :thumbup: but hydraulic excavators were the new kid on the block then, and my Boss said "it would never replace the Ruston and Smith navvies we were using." :doh: :lol:
In those days we still thought if it wasn't British it was no good, :? and this was French. :!: :!: even if it did have a Perkins engine. ;)
How wrong we were on both counts!! :oops: :lol:
Soon afterwards West London Plant moved into the area,(anyone remember them) :?: :?: They ran a few Oleomats and they soon became accepted.
Later on Fords badged them and fitted Ford engines, Short Bros Plant became the distributors in South Wales and they built up quite a following for these machines.
Ford H 42.JPG

In think :think: the Ford name was dropped when Demag took over Richier, and they used the Richier name. :?: :?:
Fred
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #10 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:46 am

Yes Fred I can plainly recall a local demolition company (H.E. Humphries) ran one of these machines in the mid seventies and that was badged as a Clark Olemat, it was the only one I ever saw and it was used to demolish the old cinema that had lay derelict at Hill Top for some years.

Jeremy

Return to “Excavators”