Priestman Excavators

Discuss excavators here

ididntdoit73

Re: Priestman Excavators

Post #191 by ididntdoit73 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:56 am

Hi,
About this Priestman excavator there is a pedal on the floor in the cab am i right that its the pedal for the pecker? As its piped up for one.
Thanks.
Proud owner of JCB 3C and hopefully soon to own a Priestman 2-15

Jeremy Rowland

Post #192 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:52 am

ididntdoit73 wrote:Hi,
About this Priestman excavator there is a pedal on the floor in the cab am i right that its the pedal for the pecker? As its piped up for one.
Thanks.

I think Fred 'Fowler man' may be best able to answer that question?

Jeremy

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #193 by FOWLER MAN » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:10 pm

Jeremy Rowland wrote:
ididntdoit73 wrote:Hi,
Thanks.

I think Fred 'Fowler man' may be best able to answer that question?

Jeremy

Hi,
If the pecker circuit was original Priestman fitted it would have been opperated by a button in the top of the right hand control lever,
The machine could easily have been retro fitted with a pedal control, there should be an isolator switch on the pannel somewhere, if you find it and switch it on you should see the pecker pipes pulse when you opperate the control either way.

Some of the earlier priestmans had a straight line travel pedal though in the "Two" series this feature was usualy opperated by a button on top of the travel lever. This was to allow the opperator to have full power to both tracks when using the front end equipment for debogging the machine.

You said in an earlier post that the machine was slow and lacked power, This is not typical.
Priestmans used their three pump system which gave full flow from the three pumps for maximum speed under light load. When digging and the average pressure in the system increased to 1,900 p.s.i., the output of the third pump was dumped, effectively slowing and gearing down the hydraulics. As soon as the bucket came out of the dig the pressure drop would bring the third pump back in and return to maximum flow and speed. This system worked very well.

The problems you discribe could be caused by any number of things. Perhaps the servo pressure, (350 p.s.i.), is low and not fully opperating the spools in the valve blocks. perhaps the demand valve is not cutting the third pump in, pressures may be down, (M.L.R.V. 3,000 p.s.i), (S.L.R.V. 3200 p.s.i), filters may need changing or maybe the pumps have had their day??

ididntdoit73

Post #194 by ididntdoit73 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:02 pm

Hi,
well may have found one thing that's wrong with her.
Checking fluids this morning (took owners word for it been ok when i collected it, the day i used it) the hydraulic tank was low.
It has took over 100 ltrs of oil and its just on the bottom of the sight glass.
So will see how she goes this afternoon.
Proud owner of JCB 3C and hopefully soon to own a Priestman 2-15

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #195 by FOWLER MAN » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:34 pm

Hi,
Another one for Nick Drew. ;)
I found another rare pic. of the "Priestman Carobou." :thumbup:
Unlike the one I posted on page 14 of this thread this one has a left hand drive carrier chasis.
Probaly built for export :?:
Priestman Caribou.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

the wizard
Flag: Great Britain

Post #196 by the wizard » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:09 pm

I never realised that !! Thank you Fowler man. Winter months reading through old threads and find out something new ,didnt realise 120 & 160 rams different manifacturer to 108 & 168.I have noticed though the 108 seams to leak more than 120.Always thought 108 working at full pressure most of time as lift ram goes from 20 feet up to 20 feet down approx where 120 only goes 15 feet each way and with 10 foot dipper that ram works harder than 8'6".Were the 108 ones made by SAI like motors? As for tuck link I too had 120 without one and when fitted to it ,it transformed the machine as you get longer stroke with dipper as it comes closer it goes up so when lowered gives more travel.Sounds daft but is true I measured it

Cx5

Post #197 by Cx5 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:03 pm

Seen hiding in the long grass in North Cambridgeshire, near the TV mast and telecom tower.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #198 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:49 pm

Nice one Michael :thumbup: looks in nice external condition for a Mustang 120 which was probably made in the late seventies.

Jeremy

mechman

Post #199 by mechman » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:49 am

I think that Priestman belongs to a member of this site and it was up for sale recently, I can vouch for the cab as its totally intact which is very unusual. I think its the one that Fowler man was trying to be coaxed into buying. :|
Edit. I think its a different one as the colours don't correspond.

Cx5

Post #200 by Cx5 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:08 am

This one seen near Bourne Rugby Club in 2010

Return to “Excavators”