Priestman Excavators

Discuss excavators here

IBH

Re: Priestman Excavators

Post #41 by IBH » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:47 pm

Same one?
I think there is one near to the Holly Bush garden centre, Shareshill Wolverhampton, by the exit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

john345me

Post #42 by john345me » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:48 pm

nice to see there is old plant out there and it keepin it distance from the scrap yard!!!!!

john345me

Post #43 by john345me » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:51 pm

thats the one i think jeremy took the pic of :!:

Jeremy Rowland

Post #44 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:52 pm

Yes IBH thats the one, I spoke to the owner on one occassion don't think he's got a lot of work for it to do.
Bet it sounds nice too powered by a Perkins Vee8.

Jeremy

Jeremy Rowland

Post #45 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:54 pm

john345me wrote:thats the one i think jeremy took the pic of :!:

Yes John I have taken a similar pic of that machine.

Jeremy

Jeremy Rowland

Post #46 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:55 pm

john345me wrote:thats the one i think jeremy took the pic of :!:

I do have several pics of that machine it was the first time I ever set eyes on one.
I did know that they built the 220 and apparently they also built a larger one too ;)

Jeremy

IBH

Post #47 by IBH » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:09 pm

Seeing those images, has made me pick up 40 Years a salesman by R.J. (Dick) Lloyd as I recall some comments made in the book about the 220 and the larger 320.
Apparently Priestman developed a 30+ tonne 320 model, which he describes as ''frankly, a joke. It was very ponderous, weighing over 30 tonnes, had a massive superstructure more more akin to a mechanical excavator, and used hydraulic equipment from a little known UK supplier. I think they only built four, and I was certainly outspoken in my criticism.''

Apparently Priestman's Belgium dealer Sobemai, who would later be better known for their counter-balance cranes, founded and led by Edelhart de Lille had all fours 320's in his yard and would often modify Priestman machines to rectify their shortcomings and adapt them to suit customers needs when Priestman wouldn't. Including producing the only M220 wheeled excavator and modifying the unreliable tranmissions of the Mustang 90's which ''became reliable machines after he had modified the transmissions''

I know its unlikely, but does anybody have any info, specs, drawings, photo(s) of a 320?

BulldozerD11

Post #48 by BulldozerD11 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:25 pm

Jeremy Rowland wrote:Yes IBH thats the one, I spoke to the owner on one occassion don't think he's got a lot of work for it to do.

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy
Any Idea which V8 Perkins engine it was in the 220 machines ?

Dave
Interested in Tractors, Plant, Heavy Haulage or Steam visit http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Tractor_%26_Construction_Plant_Wiki
Help document every manufacturer model build, and record every machine in preservation, clubs and events etc.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #49 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:08 am

BulldozerD11 wrote:
Jeremy Rowland wrote:Yes IBH thats the one, I spoke to the owner on one occassion don't think he's got a lot of work for it to do.

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy

Dave

Now that Dave is a good question must say I was only aware that there was one Perky vee8 and they used to fit em into Dodge trucks, Ford 'D' series and Seddon 32 4's.
The ones fitted into the Ford trucks had the name Ford cast into the rocker covers as I recall and this is the lump thats fitted into this 220 as far as I am aware.
From those distant days working on the trucks I always got the impression they were not liked by the mechanics very much, they did use to sound sweet though.

Jeremy

BulldozerD11

Post #50 by BulldozerD11 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:14 am

Jeremy Rowland wrote:
BulldozerD11 wrote:Hi Jeremy

Dave

Now that Dave is a good question must say I was only aware that there was one Perky vee8 and they used to fit em into Dodge trucks, Ford 'D' series and Seddon 32 4's.
The ones fitted into the Ford trucks had the name Ford cast into the rocker covers as I recall and this is the lump thats fitted into this 220 as far as I am aware.
From those distant days working on the trucks I always got the impression they were not liked by the mechanics very much, they did use to sound sweet though.

Jeremy

The only one I was familiar with was the one in the Massey 760 Combines and they sounded well. But I'm sure there was several versions.

Perkins used to build the F3 engine for Ford for the Dexter I think it was. Ford supplied the casting to Perkins "free issue" and some other bits and Perkins sent the engines down each night ot Dageham (a JIT operation before the Japs brought it back here as a new idea :idea: ) bring back the casting to build the next lot. 200,000 were built by 1964. Perkins then belonged to Massey and started supplying the MF 35 with A3.152 engines (source Perkins Diesel conversions by Alan T Condi)

The D series my mate had a straight 6 unit (swapped from a 12 / 16 tonner ? onto a 7.5 and the springs had 50 % extra leaths in for sticking tractors on) or concrete blocks 6 + ton load and still looked ok :o

Dave
Interested in Tractors, Plant, Heavy Haulage or Steam visit http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Tractor_%26_Construction_Plant_Wiki
Help document every manufacturer model build, and record every machine in preservation, clubs and events etc.

Return to “Excavators”