Koehring 505

Discuss excavators here

Topic author
Shovelman

Koehring 505

Post #1 by Shovelman » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:43 am

Hi guys,

During another motorcycle jaunt over the weekend, I ran across a machine that I may have to try and make "mine". Its an original Koehring 505! The first fully hydraulic (upper only) excavator produced by Koehring.

It is in surprisingly good physical condition considering its age, but I have no idea if it even runs or the hydraulics work. I only had a few minutes to take some photos and not lose contact with the rest of the group.

I will find out who owns it and the operational condition in the next weeks. Here are a few photos.

If only it had been a SKOOPER I would have been "shovel heaven".

All the best,

John
Last edited by Shovelman on Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nick Drew

Re: Koehring 505

Post #2 by Nick Drew » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:36 pm

Hi John,

Amazing shots mate!! :thumbs_up:

When you say that you want to make it yours, do you mean you are planning to buy this machine??

Sure would make a great restoration job :D

I guess there must be thousands of old machines like this lying in an unused state across America??

Nick :thumbs_up:

Robban_C

Post #3 by Robban_C » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:50 pm

Narrow cabin. Not made for 300+ pounds. :mrgreen:

What kind of bucket is that? Seems strange.
And what is that cylinder with spherical ends on the left side of the boom root? Looks like some kind of pressure tank.
Volvo EC45 PRO -06
Volvo EC35 -01
MB-Trac 800 turbo
Bigab 10-14 hook lift trailer
MF 3165, Poor Ferguson

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/RobbanxC

Nick Drew

Post #4 by Nick Drew » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:59 pm

Hey John,

I forgot to say Did you get any shots of the old scraper in the background in the first Koehring shot??

Nick.

Topic author
Shovelman

Post #5 by Shovelman » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:20 am

Nick,

The machine was located adjacent to a small quarry, but they were closed on Sunday of course. I called the quarry today and asked what the "situation" was with this machine, but the secretary did not know anything about it and I have not been contacted by anybody at this time.

I can not apologize for my enthusiasm about this machine. If there is a way to purchase it at a reasonable cost, I will certainly try and do it. In recent years I have seen many machines that I would have liked to purchase and restore, but you have to take into consideration the initial purchase price and then the hard part; the cost of repairs, parts, paint, etc...

I will share more information when I have it as I was on a ride with a bunch of friends and had
to "double-back" to take the few shots I did. I was rushed to take the shots and catch back up to the pack. By the way; the scraper is a TS-14, and I will take photos when I return there.

Robert,

Yes; the cab is very narrow! The bucket is an original Koehring as seen on the cover of this brochure:

Of course, that is not what it looks like now! I have thought about it also, and here is my suspicion: Instead of changing the teeth on the bucket when they should have, I think they had to keep cutting back into the "good" steel to attach the new teeth (when they actually did). I will ask about this when I talk with someone about the machine.

Regarding the pressure tank; its for air. This machine had air-operated swing and brake releases, control levers, etc...

Thanks for your interest in this. If I can not get the machine for myself, perhaps I can get them to donate it to the local chapter of the HCEA.

Ill keep you all posted on any developments.

All the best,

John

Nick Drew

Post #6 by Nick Drew » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:58 pm

Thanks for all your information John :thumbs_up:

Its obvious to everyone here that you are very passionate about your hobby, probably more than anyone else on this board!! Your collection of brochures must be outstanding to say the least ;)

I sure would like to see them someday :D

Nick :thumbs_up:

Return to “Excavators”