out 'n about

Discuss excavators here

Topic author
RichardJW~

out 'n about

Post #1 by RichardJW~ » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:27 pm

The other week I was mooching around Baku, Azerbaijan, on the way back from the pub at about midnight I came across this......bearing in mind that the building on the left is actually quite a posh hotel!!!

Cat 322C knocking down something

The remains....

Clearing up....

Drilling machine of sorts...

SRB
Flag: Great Britain

Re: out 'n about

Post #2 by SRB » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:34 pm

The soilmec is based on a Cat 330.... You get to all the Glam locations ey Richard?!?!?!

http://soilmec.info/rrigs.html
SB
He who hingeth aboot, getteth hee-haw

Nick Drew

Post #3 by Nick Drew » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:06 pm

Great Photos Richard :thumbs_up:

Of particular interest was the photo of the Turkish manufactured Hidromek backhoe loader ;)

We don't see many of them around

Nick :thumbs_up:

Joes1989
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by Joes1989 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:30 pm

Can anyone tell me if the hidromek backhoe is based on the design of the 3Cx? Looks almost identical from what i can see!

Joe

Topic author
RichardJW~

Post #5 by RichardJW~ » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:35 pm

Here's a few more pics from abroad, this time Istanbul. I was transiting thru the place on Sunday night and because Obama was paying a visit on Monday I missed my connecting flight so ended up stopping over in a hotel a stones throw from the airport.....no big hardship.

Anyway woke up Monday morning to see the expo centre/concert arena next door on fire!!!......so from the 6th floor I had a ring side seat to see the action.....no-one hurt, no-one inside.

then later went for a mooch down the road where the boys were putting in a new sewer main

Robban_C

Post #6 by Robban_C » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:43 pm

The old Hitachi seems to have some kind of dipper extension? Is it a removable extension?

The newer Fiat-Hitachi has some kind of jibb (is that the correct word in English?) but what is it doing? Is it a using a clamshell bucket for deep digging?

Richard, excellent pictures!
Volvo EC45 PRO -06
Volvo EC35 -01
MB-Trac 800 turbo
Bigab 10-14 hook lift trailer
MF 3165, Poor Ferguson

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/RobbanxC

Topic author
RichardJW~

Post #7 by RichardJW~ » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:05 am

Robban_C wrote:The old Hitachi seems to have some kind of dipper extension? Is it a removable extension?

The newer Fiat-Hitachi has some kind of jibb (is that the correct word in English?) but what is it doing? Is it a using a clamshell bucket for deep digging?

Richard, excellent pictures!

The newer one had a device for picking up the steel sheet piles and then driving them in the ground - don't know what you call it exactly

Couldn't get a close look at the old Hitachi

Topic author
RichardJW~

Post #8 by RichardJW~ » Sun May 24, 2009 4:23 pm

O.K. so back in Baku right now, been for a mooch around and this is what I saw this afternoon.

This is the same hole as further up........that SOILMEC drill....... what's the purpose of it? why where they drilling down like that and now decided to dig the lot out?

This old bird seemed quite poorly, the guy climbed up on the heap and you could hear the engine dying when he pulled the dipper in and boom up....quite noticeable, it was.....guess the poor fuel quality has taken its toll on the common rail system

This was over on the Caspian Sea front......some kind of piling operation

BulldozerD11

Post #9 by BulldozerD11 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:43 am

RichardJW~ wrote:O.K. so back in Baku right now, been for a mooch around and this is what I saw this afternoon.

This is the same hole as further up........that SOILMEC drill....... what's the purpose of it? why where they drilling down like that and now decided to dig the lot out?

This old bird seemed quite poorly, the guy climbed up on the heap and you could hear the engine dying when he pulled the dipper in and boom up....quite noticeable, it was.....guess the poor fuel quality has taken its toll on the common rail system

This was over on the Caspian Sea front......some kind of piling operation

Richard re your earlier ? .
THe Soilmec was drilling bored piles. - the hole is bored out often inside a sleve (pipe) to stop it falling in then it is filled with concrete and a cage of reinforcing. If you drill lots of them close together or even overlaping by missing every other one out and then going back and diling through the egdes of the earlier ones wich are a closer centeres than 2 x Diameter. The piles then form a wall as shown in your later picture (above) which is joined togeter at the top by a Capping beam of concrete.

You can then dig out the middle of the box formed by the piles walls and get a deep basement. Every 4 meters down or so you drill in rock anchor tendons (like you seen on the motorway embankments were they are widening it (or near shap on the M6). The horizontal stripes are tie beams with the tendon anchor plates and nuts visible between the piles.

If the hole is very deep you have to put big steel braces across to stop the walls bowing and the buildings next door subsiding.

Look on Skyscrapercity.com (a forum like this but for building fans ;) ) at the thread for " The Cube" - http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=317399 and you can see the progress of a similar job in Birmingham that has a 6 storey basement carpark & shops. IIRC it is 20m + deep. (I posted a few photos on there, but the local lads have posted daily progress photos of the digging of the basement and then the building going up). Theser is another similar one at Snowhill as well.

Hope that explains it :idea:
Dave (wearing hard hat head)
Interested in Tractors, Plant, Heavy Haulage or Steam visit http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Tractor_%26_Construction_Plant_Wiki
Help document every manufacturer model build, and record every machine in preservation, clubs and events etc.

rob

Post #10 by rob » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:24 pm

A few photographs attached of machines that I've been on site with over the last couple of weeks in Germany, Luxembourg (just 20 mins to the border from where I work) and Sweden.

Rob.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Excavators”