Hymac Excavators

Discuss excavators here

Topic author
Nick Drew

Re: Hymac Excavators

Post #11 by Nick Drew » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:54 am

That´s a really long shaft, isn´t it? Seems extremely long on the first photo.

What´s a "batter drain"?

That is a 3 metre dipper stick which is very popular in the UK, I always prefer a long stick :) only downside is you lose a bit of breakout force !! :(

Batter drains are like a French drain down a steep embankment alongside a road or motorway
ie perforated pipes surrounded by clean stone for storm water.

Hope I have explained that ok for you?? :roll: ;)

Robban_C

Post #12 by Robban_C » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:24 am

Nick Drew wrote:... I always prefer a long stick :) only downside is you lose a bit of breakout force !! :(

Batter drains are like a French drain down a steep embankment alongside a road or motorway
ie perforated pipes surrounded by clean stone for storm water.

Hope I have explained that ok for you?? :roll: ;)

I usually misses reach on my own machine (short stick).
But I guess that a long stick just moves the problem, you´ll be out of reach sooner or later anyway.

Drains:
Don´t know what a French drain is either but from your description it seems to be the same that we use around houses here in Sweden. I guess "clean stone" is what we call "singel" (natural gravel in limited fractions) or "makadam" (crushed rocks in limited fractions).
The only difference is that we seldom do that along roads here in Sweden. We usually just dig ditches along the road.
Volvo EC45 PRO -06
Volvo EC35 -01
MB-Trac 800 turbo
Bigab 10-14 hook lift trailer
MF 3165, Poor Ferguson

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/RobbanxC

Lars-Gunnar
Flag: Sweden

Post #13 by Lars-Gunnar » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:18 pm

Robban

This line ie perforated pipes surrounded by clean stone for storm water betyder perforerade rör omgiven av slippriga stenar I think it is what he said.

Hope this get you any idea what Nick will mean. You as have a excawator perhaps have experience from what it means.

Lars-Gunnar :)
AMD computers and Volvo trucks is best

Robban_C

Post #14 by Robban_C » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:17 pm

LG, nice to see you here! Thumbs-up!

LG, I know except that I`m pretty sure that it´s not supposed to be slippery stones. :mrgreen:
I guess that "clean stones" means that there are no really small stones (no 0-fraction, ingen nollfraktion). That´ll be that the fraction of the stones are (as an example) 10-19 mm (3/8"-3/4") compared to 0-19 mm.

The reasons there should be no 0-fraction are:
1. 0-fraction will block the perforated pipes.
2. 0-fraction will "draw" water up through capillary force. Not important in draining roads but in draining houses as capillary water will make the basement damp.

Nick, am I right with my guess about "clean stone"?

Do you use some kind of geotextile (wrong word?) around the stones in a drainage in GB?
We do to protect the stones from being clogged with mud. Or at least some of us do. There are always a few trying to earn as much as possible in a short time, those might skip the geotextile and even skip the clean stone. A few dollars less and many years of sevice life (wrong expression?) less.
Volvo EC45 PRO -06
Volvo EC35 -01
MB-Trac 800 turbo
MF 3165, Poor Ferguson

Topic author
Nick Drew

Post #15 by Nick Drew » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:46 pm

Robban_C wrote:LG, nice to see you here! Thumbs-up!

LG, I know except that I`m pretty sure that it´s not supposed to be slippery stones. :mrgreen:
I guess that "clean stones" means that there are no really small stones (no 0-fraction, ingen nollfraktion). That´ll be that the fraction of the stones are (as an example) 10-19 mm (3/8"-3/4") compared to 0-19 mm.

The reasons there should be no 0-fraction are:
1. 0-fraction will block the perforated pipes.
2. 0-fraction will "draw" water up through capillary force. Not important in draining roads but in draining houses as capillary water will make the basement damp.

Nick, am I right with my guess about "clean stone"?

Do you use some kind of geotextile (wrong word?) around the stones in a drainage in GB?
We do to protect the stones from being clogged with mud. Or at least some of us do. There are always a few trying to earn as much as possible in a short time, those might skip the geotextile and even skip the clean stone. A few dollars less and many years of sevice life (wrong expression?) less.

Hi Robban, :thumbs_up:

Sorry for the late reply to this one!! I simply overlooked it!! :dizzy:

Yes you are correct about the "clean stone" and yes also we do use geotextile here in the UK, it is money well spent to do a good job and as you say keep the drain clean from mud for many years to come.

Our most popular make of Geotextile is a product called Terram.

Nick

Robban_C

Post #16 by Robban_C » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:56 pm

Nick Drew wrote:... Sorry for the late reply to this one!! I simply overlooked it!! :dizzy: ...

It´s ok.
And Terram is one of the makes we use here. There are actually one or a few rolls laying in one of my outhouses.
Volvo EC45 PRO -06
Volvo EC35 -01
MB-Trac 800 turbo
MF 3165, Poor Ferguson

Jeremy Rowland

Post #17 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:55 am

Lets try again :oops: Here is a pic of a Hymac 380 that is currently undergoing full restoration. Like Nick I am a Hymac fan and always will be.
This particular machine is one of only 51 of this model that Hymac built, they also built 23 of a wheeled version which was classified as a 410. Both models had only one boom hoist ram and tipped the scales at 7.5 tons.
Its also note worthy that the Ford 4 cylinder motor was mounted the opposite way round to that of the popular 580 series machines.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

IBH

Post #18 by IBH » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:32 am

Topic author
Nick Drew

Post #19 by Nick Drew » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:01 pm

Hi All,

Today I had a bit of time to my self and so I travelled back to the place where I recently found the old Priestman Mustang 120. Next door is a plant sales firm called Devon plant. The owner Mr Chris Luscombe very kindly allowed me access to take some photos and I was very pleased to see amongst the older items for sale there was this old Hymac 580C or at least I think that is the model :dizzy: Unfortunately there was a lack of identification plates on this machine.

I just wish I had the time to take this machine away and restore her to its former glory

You can find out more about this companys stock of machines by visiting their website http://www.devonplant.com
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

IBH

Post #20 by IBH » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:05 pm

Considering the Hymac is definitely more than 20 years old it appears from the photos to be in reasnobly good condition for its age...at leasts its not just being held together by grease and dirt like so many.

Return to “Excavators”