Help! Refitting 3cx dipper ram

Discuss excavators here

Topic author
John.a
Flag: Ireland

Help! Refitting 3cx dipper ram

Post #1 by John.a » Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:19 pm

Hi everyone, I removed the main dipper ram on my 1991 3CX and had it resealed now I’m trying to refit it and I can’t get the pin inside the dipper to line up! Refitted it at the king post end then moved the ram out into the dipper But It keep rotating 45 degrees therefore won’t slot into place and you can’t get at it to turn it as its completely enclosed.

Am I missing something?

gecko.cx
Flag: Australia

Re: Help! Refitting 3cx dipper ram

Post #2 by gecko.cx » Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:42 am

Just confirming - this is the ram inside the boom that runs up from the king-post?
I've looked at mine with trepidation knowing the seals need replacing (internal leak), but still putting it off!

If it's rotating as it extends, I'm guessing that's due to the diagonal cut on the main seal (my extra-dig cylinder did that, but I could get at it, so it wasn't a problem).
Best I can think of is:
a/ to set the eye 45° and try to have it correctly aligned by the time it is extended
b/ with the boom as horizontal as you can get it, slide the ram into the boom and couple the piston pin. Then use a winch/come-along/ratchet strap to extend the cylinder back toward the king post. When you get close, you'll be able to connect the hydraulic lines and gain some control. You'll at least have access to the bottom eye, so you can rotate it as necessary.

essexpete

Post #3 by essexpete » Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:00 am

John.a wrote:Hi everyone, I removed the main dipper ram on my 1991 3CX and had it resealed now I’m trying to refit it and I can’t get the pin inside the dipper to line up! Refitted it at the king post end then moved the ram out into the dipper But It keep rotating 45 degrees therefore won’t slot into place and you can’t get at it to turn it as its completely enclosed.

Am I missing something?

Just to confirm, are you dealing with the first ram after the kingpost that lifts the boom?
Where/how have you got the boom resting at the moment? Have you still got a bucket attached?

Whitlock 505
Flag: Wales

Post #4 by Whitlock 505 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:02 pm

I refitted a 3cx digging ram after a reseal this week and put the piston end in first and worked the task back using a bar, word of warning the oil will shoot out as you work it back so stand out of the way if possible

Ian

Return to “Excavators”