Kubota KH-66

Discuss excavators here

Topic author
Swagger
Flag: Great Britain

Kubota KH-66

Post #1 by Swagger » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:10 am

Hello, I'm new to kit like this and have a Kubota KH-66 which I'm currently servicing.

First question : is there any source for an Operator's Manual ? I've hunted the internet unsuccessfully

Second question : Do the track motors need lubrication, and assuming that they do, how do I get to them ? They don't have the fill and level screws shown on later models; in fact they seem to be well hidden.

Last question (for now) : The blade cylinder/ram is leaking badly, but looks fairly straightforward to remove : rest blade on the ground, detach hydraulic lines, remove screws and drift out the pins - is that it ? And can I expect the cylinder to be easy to service (e.g. seal availability) ?

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Kubota KH-66

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:09 pm

Hi Bernard and welcome to the site :wave: there is plenty of help and advice on here :thumbup: your leaking ram seal should be an easy repair so long as you have a base mechanical knowledge and skill, the parts will be available from any decent hydraulic seal supplier. Make sure that any hydraulic pressure is relieved from the system before breaking into any hydraulic circuit.
The track motors should be hydraulic motors which will need no lubrication; I don't know where you would get a manual but perhaps others on here could point you in the right direction.

Jeremy

Topic author
Swagger
Flag: Great Britain

Post #3 by Swagger » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:25 pm

Hello Jeremy and thanks for the welcome. Good news about the track motors not needing lubrication; I had rather assumed that as the later KX series do require it that the older ones would likewise. Anyone want a couple of litres of 80w90 bought in anticipation ? ;)

I have a soft copy of the workshop manual which seems to cover the whole KH range. I guess that finding an Operators Manual for any of them will help with most things.

Newbie's question : how do I make certain that the hydraulic pressure is relieved - jiggling the levers with the engine off, as I do on my tractor ?

Jeremy Rowland

Post #4 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:11 pm

Bernard, yes operate the levers with the engine switched off; I would also let the machine stand before breaking into the hydraulic circuit and when you do disconnect the hydraulic hoses just go gently just in case.

Jeremy

Return to “Excavators”