Hymac 580c idler bushings and seals

Discuss excavators here

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Hymac 580c idler bushings and seals

Post #11 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:47 am

Thanks Fred :thumbup: I had pm'd Dan the contact number for Tony Flint as I have never fitted these seals myself. Pete without looking in the book I'm not sure but the rollers are sealed.

Jeremy

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #12 by FOWLER MAN » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:42 am

Jeremy Rowland wrote:Thanks Fred :thumbup: I had pm'd Dan the contact number for Tony Flint as I have never fitted these seals myself. Pete without looking in the book I'm not sure but the rollers are sealed.

Jeremy

Yes Jeremy and Pete,
I think the rollers use similar duo cone seals since the "BT" was introduced circa 1968/9 to replace the "B". The " T" as I understand signifying tractor type tracks.

Fred

FOWLER MAN

Post #13 by FOWLER MAN » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:55 pm

Hi, Here's a tip you wont find in a manual.
If you haven't got the installation tool and you're having trouble with the toric ring rolling up the cone / ramp when pressing the seal in, a bit of auto cable and some zip ties will get you out of trouble. :idea:

Select a piece of auto cable thick enough to tightly fill the gap between the ring and the cone lip, See sketch below.

Then use the ties just tight enough to hold the cable in place when pressing the seal in. Remove the ties and cable and job done. :thumbup:

Fred

Topic author
Canada Hymac 570c
Flag: Canada

Post #14 by Canada Hymac 570c » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:47 pm

Thanks for the help on this guys. I might try to get it together this weekend. I’m a little worried the seals wont seal good as the ramps in the housings are not in the best of shape.

FOWLER MAN

Post #15 by FOWLER MAN » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:29 pm

Canada Hymac 570c wrote:Thanks for the help on this guys. I might try to get it together this weekend. I’m a little worried the seals wont seal good as the ramps in the housings are not in the best of shape.

Hi Dan,

Don't worry too much if the ramps are pitted, the seals will probably cope with that OK.
If the lip at the bottom of the ramp is damaged and wont hold the seal in place you can even re-form it by carefully peening with a ball pein hammer.

Good luck.
Fred

Topic author
Canada Hymac 570c

Post #16 by Canada Hymac 570c » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:47 pm

I finally got it all back together this weekend! Took a bit of effort to get the track back together l, but so far so good.

After this job I started to replace the hydraulic filters. I got 2 of three replaced, which were desperately needed as they collapsed in on themselves. The third one I cannot for the life of me get apart. I had a 7 foot extension bar on there and can’t get it to budge. Any suggestions?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #17 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:45 am

Hi Dan; I am guessing that it's the outside filter that is stuck? I had the same issue on my 580BT this is caused by damp ingress between the top of the filter bowl and the housing itself causing the two to 'rust' together. I put a good 7 foot scaffold pole on the bar to loosen my filter, I left it under pressure by using a ratchet strap around the bar, I also sprayed plenty of freeing oil between the top of the housing and filter bowl, eventually it ceded and came free.
Let us know how you get on.

Jeremy

Topic author
Canada Hymac 570c

Post #18 by Canada Hymac 570c » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:45 am

Hey Jeremy. It was the outside filter housing that was stuck on. I gave it another go and managed to get it apart with a little more effort. Got the machine back together now time to do some work and see what else needs attention.

Dan

Return to “Excavators”