Poclain 75 CKB

Discuss excavators here

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland
Moderator
Posts: 7037
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:36 pm
Real name: Jeremy Rowland
Has thanked: 1121 times
Been thanked: 924 times

Re: Poclain 75 CKB

Post #31 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:21 pm

A quick update here; I worked with Andrew a couple of weeks back to try and get the broken studs out, despite our best efforts every time a nut was welded to the broken stud it simply snapped a bit more off. :wtf:
To cut a long story short one of Andrew's lads knew somebody who removes broken studs for a profession (handy or what :P ) so I paid this chap to remove them for me.
I had this gut feeling that they would need to be drilled and heli-coiled and with something as precise as that I would rather leave it to a professional; besides it would have cost me to hire a mag-drill and carbide cutter as the old bolts were hardened so making a balls up of it was not on the cards. :dizzy:

The lad came and did the job please bear in mind that this lad does this job for a living and it took him five hours; two came out but the other three had to be drilled out and heli-coiled.
I did do some work on it today but in reality it was far too hot to work even though I made sure that I drank plenty of water; my first job was to remove any dirt and debris that I could see, I also cleaned the threads as there was no point fitting new bolts into dirty holes.
The first head is now back on the engine, yes I only got one done today but cleaning things up takes more time than you think plus the job on these engines is a real pig to do, I would not happily want to work on another Deutz engine unless it was out of the machine.

When I looked at the second head (actually no4) I could see that it had been off sometime in the past as there was a mark where I removed some compressed debris from their head removal job and they had failed to correctly align the 'fire ring' (head gasket) it has cut outs for where the bolts fit. :dizzy:
I have left the engine with that head just resting in place to help keep any dirt and muck out of the cylinder. :thumbup:

Jeremy


Image
Image
Image
Image
Image


Topic author
Jeremy Rowland
Moderator
Posts: 7037
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:36 pm
Real name: Jeremy Rowland
Has thanked: 1121 times
Been thanked: 924 times

Re: Poclain 75 CKB

Post #32 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:55 pm

Okay so I managed to get some work put in on the Saturday before Andrew's working event; I worked until 9:30 on the evening on the Deutz engine, I managed to get four of the five cylinder heads and two of the cylinders back on the engine. Lack of space to get at things makes for an awkward job for example the bonnet hinge channel passes over the centre of the engine which means that you can only reach two of the four cylinder head bolts so you end up endlessly walking around the machine each time you carry out the cylinder head bolt tightening sequence :dizzy:
The cylinders were fitted back on using a piston ring compressor then carefully fitting the liner over the piston and finally unfastening the compressor to get it off the piston; well although I sweat buckets in all that heat I had only one cylinder left to fit.

I went up to the machine yesterday; I borrowed a works van as I had to pick up a hydraulic ram that Julian Carder has got re-conditioned for me to fit on the Hymac once I have the basic "up and running jobs" done on the Poclain.
I refitted the piston to the connecting rod put the ring compressor on and tried to fit the last cylinder and that was where "the wheels fell off" I could not get the cylinder on the piston no matter how hard I struggled I must have tried ten times or more and each time the liner got stuck on the top piston ring. Then I got the cylinder liner jammed and as I carefully tapped it to release it I chipped a small part off one of the cooling fins :evil:

That was the last straw as they say; I stopped and decided to take a new approach so I removed the piston from the con-rod and fitted it into the top of the cylinder liner, I then slid the bottom of the piston out of the liner just enough to permit me to feed the pin back into the con-rod, essentially I had to hold the weight of the complete piston and liner to do this but it worked :P Then I fitted the last cylinder head the tightening sequence is a nuisance to say the least first step is 30 to 45Nm then 3 x 45 degrees and finished with a 30 degree on the four bolts, so hopefully next visit I may have a "tune" out of it.

Jeremy

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image


Return to “Excavators”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests