Poclain 75 CKB

Discuss excavators here

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Re: Poclain 75 CKB

Post #31 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:21 pm

A quick update here; I worked with Andrew a couple of weeks back to try and get the broken studs out, despite our best efforts every time a nut was welded to the broken stud it simply snapped a bit more off. :wtf:
To cut a long story short one of Andrew's lads knew somebody who removes broken studs for a profession (handy or what :P ) so I paid this chap to remove them for me.
I had this gut feeling that they would need to be drilled and heli-coiled and with something as precise as that I would rather leave it to a professional; besides it would have cost me to hire a mag-drill and carbide cutter as the old bolts were hardened so making a balls up of it was not on the cards. :dizzy:

The lad came and did the job please bear in mind that this lad does this job for a living and it took him five hours; two came out but the other three had to be drilled out and heli-coiled.
I did do some work on it today but in reality it was far too hot to work even though I made sure that I drank plenty of water; my first job was to remove any dirt and debris that I could see, I also cleaned the threads as there was no point fitting new bolts into dirty holes.
The first head is now back on the engine, yes I only got one done today but cleaning things up takes more time than you think plus the job on these engines is a real pig to do, I would not happily want to work on another Deutz engine unless it was out of the machine.

When I looked at the second head (actually no4) I could see that it had been off sometime in the past as there was a mark where I removed some compressed debris from their head removal job and they had failed to correctly align the 'fire ring' (head gasket) it has cut outs for where the bolts fit. :dizzy:
I have left the engine with that head just resting in place to help keep any dirt and muck out of the cylinder. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #32 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:55 pm

Okay so I managed to get some work put in on the Saturday before Andrew's working event; I worked until 9:30 on the evening on the Deutz engine, I managed to get four of the five cylinder heads and two of the cylinders back on the engine. Lack of space to get at things makes for an awkward job for example the bonnet hinge channel passes over the centre of the engine which means that you can only reach two of the four cylinder head bolts so you end up endlessly walking around the machine each time you carry out the cylinder head bolt tightening sequence :dizzy:
The cylinders were fitted back on using a piston ring compressor then carefully fitting the liner over the piston and finally unfastening the compressor to get it off the piston; well although I sweat buckets in all that heat I had only one cylinder left to fit.

I went up to the machine yesterday; I borrowed a works van as I had to pick up a hydraulic ram that Julian Carder has got re-conditioned for me to fit on the Hymac once I have the basic "up and running jobs" done on the Poclain.
I refitted the piston to the connecting rod put the ring compressor on and tried to fit the last cylinder and that was where "the wheels fell off" I could not get the cylinder on the piston no matter how hard I struggled I must have tried ten times or more and each time the liner got stuck on the top piston ring. Then I got the cylinder liner jammed and as I carefully tapped it to release it I chipped a small part off one of the cooling fins :evil:

That was the last straw as they say; I stopped and decided to take a new approach so I removed the piston from the con-rod and fitted it into the top of the cylinder liner, I then slid the bottom of the piston out of the liner just enough to permit me to feed the pin back into the con-rod, essentially I had to hold the weight of the complete piston and liner to do this but it worked :P Then I fitted the last cylinder head the tightening sequence is a nuisance to say the least first step is 30 to 45Nm then 3 x 45 degrees and finished with a 30 degree on the four bolts, so hopefully next visit I may have a "tune" out of it.

Jeremy

essexpete

Post #33 by essexpete » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:15 pm

Admire your tenacity.

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #34 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:50 am

essexpete wrote:Admire your tenacity.

Thanks Pete :thumbup: I don't give up very easily when I put my mind to things.

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #35 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:56 pm

Can't quite recall exactly where I got to :dizzy: ah yes; I fitted the rest of the bits 'n' bobs on the engine at my last visit, set the valve clearances, changed the engine oil and found that Deutz had given me the wrong oil filter :roll: oh well me thinks at least I'll have a tune out of it, as the day wore on by the end I was just about ready for the big start up!
After bleeding the fuel system I finally got it running ..................... and it was not okay :x she was blowing on the fuel injector nearest to the fan, that's what I call no1 but for some odd reason Deutz call it no5?
As you can guess I left rather dejected after a days hard work in the heat wave we have been having.
Today was my first real chance to try and sort it anyway I fetched the culprit injector out and yes it had blown the copper washer away (see the photo) so cleaned it up fitted a new washer and put it back together, had to bleed the fuel system again then I got it running again, this time success so thank goodness for that.
My attention quickly turned to the next job on the list which is to replace the 24V contactor which is knackered to say the very least so I got that job done to so feeling marginally happier, still just a few more jobs then I can turn my attention back to the Hymac.

Jeremy

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #36 by FOWLER MAN » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:11 pm

Hi Jeremy,
I to must congratulate you on your tenacity. :bow: It seems that this old Poclain is fighting you every step of the way. :doh:
Your lucky the injector came out OK though, I've got a slide hammer in my kit somewhere that I had to make for that job.
It's many years since I worked on Deutz engines. They were 4,5 and 6 cyl. in Poclain TCS, LC80s, O&K RH6/9 and also in a Liebherr 900 duck which I ran for a few years myself.
One thing which puzzles me is that I'm sure there were shims under the pots to set the bump clearance over the piston and I saw no sign of them in your pics. :think: That was always a pain to set up with new pots and or pistons but of course if refitting the original pistons and pots it was just a matter of replacing the original shims. Perhaps yours is a later engine and the shims were not required or fitted :?: :?:

Good luck,
Fred

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #37 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:34 pm

FOWLER MAN wrote:Hi Jeremy,
I to must congratulate you on your tenacity. :bow: It seems that this old Poclain is fighting you every step of the way. :doh:
Your lucky the injector came out OK though, I've got a slide hammer in my kit somewhere that I had to make for that job.
It's many years since I worked on Deutz engines. They were 4,5 and 6 cyl. in Poclain TCS, LC80s, O&K RH6/9 and also in a Liebherr 900 duck which I ran for a few years myself.
One thing which puzzles me is that I'm sure there were shims under the pots to set the bump clearance over the piston and I saw no sign of them in your pics. :think: That was always a pain to set up with new pots and or pistons but of course if refitting the original pistons and pots it was just a matter of replacing the original shims. Perhaps yours is a later engine and the shims were not required or fitted :?: :?:

Good luck,
Fred

Thanks Fred :thumbup: yes the cylinder shims; I always carry a digital vernier with me it's near enough to get me out of the cart so as to speak and before I put the pots back on I measured the shim that was on the pots and kept them with each pot I never mix bits up when doing an engine rebuild or engine work in general.
The new shims were 0.5mm the old ones on the engine were 1.0mm so I re-used the old ones they were not damaged in anyway and none of the cylinders had been changed; I had read somewhere that the 'bump gap' is between 1 and 1.2mm but I could not see this altering as the cylinders were the original ones, it runs okay so I guess that must be okay.
You are correct this machine is fighting me all the way; nothing I have done on it so far has been an easy or straight forward job just happy it's a hobby and I'm not trying to make a living out of it. :lol:

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #38 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:47 pm

AT LAST! Phew I have finally had success instead of the aggro that I have been having with this machine :thumbup: Today I had three small hydraulic hoses to replace, they were the nylon rubbish type and I could not help catching them on my foray into the engine compartment while rebuilding the engine, this had caused them to leak, anyway job done replaced them. :thumbup:

That was the first success; the next issue was that the machine was stuck in the slow control for the boom and dipper function, after Andrew helped me to test out the three relays next to the pipes that I had just replaced, they were all okay. The next step was to look at the switch gear in the cab which I carefully removed, sorry for only a few photos but I had filled the camera memory stick. :doh:

Switch gear cleaned and put back in; still no success, there is a switch with a picture of a tortoise on it that controls the slow control the idea being that when you are using the digger to lift things it steadies the hydraulics to make the lift safer. Anyway by chance I tried an unidentified switch at the top of the panel and bingo success :thumbup: yippee me thinks, now onto the next job.

I was still unhappy with the Deutz engine it did not sound a 'happy motor' to cut a long story short it had another injector washer leaking which I had failed to spot so I quickly sorted that and she now sounds as sweet as a nut so that was success to. :thumbup: After re-fitting the panel under the cab plus a couple of other small jobs that was a good days work done so there is light at the end of the tunnel as they say. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #39 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:15 pm

I managed to get up to the machines on Thursday and today; I ran the Hymac up and moved it about a bit then decided to tackle the next jobs on the Poclain. First job was to look at the slew motor which was loose, a closer inspection revealed that two of the M16 bolts securing the motor had sheared off, I managed to replace those two plus the two next to them that Andrew kindly let me have but he had no other bolts there I could use so I have asked a favour of one of my fastener suppliers at work so I will replace the whole lot next time that I am up there but at least the slew box is tight for now.
The job I tackled today was the slack tracks that are fairly well worn although I knew this when I bought the excavator, it's hardly going to be running all over the place where it is now so the tracks are fine for purpose so far as I am concerned. I first replaced both of the adjuster grease nipples for new items and then slackened off the release valves to let some grease out of the system, I tracked the machine backwards and forwards and could see that grease came out of the release valves so I was happy that the grease pistons were not seized which is not uncommon. I then used the machines arm to jack each track off the ground in turn and after re-tightening the release valves I pumped fresh grease in and to my relief each track did tension.
I was careful not to over tighten them but adjusted them just enough to stop the machine losing a track; I also took the liberty of cleaning all the muck and crap off each side of the track frame so once again I came away happy that I have accomplished something. :thumbup:
I have only to replace the air-filter and engine oil filter then the mechanical work on the Poclain can be put on hold to permit me to tackle other big jobs on the Hymac; just depending I may tidy up the engine canopy on the Poclain first but will have to see how things pan out.

Jeremy

Mick Annick
Flag: Great Britain

Post #40 by Mick Annick » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:15 am

Jeremy

Thanks for this, it's brought back a lot of happy memories of Hook in the early 1980's!

Return to “Excavators”