Poclain 75 CKB

Discuss excavators here

Hugh Jaleak
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Poclain 75 CKB

Post #61 by Hugh Jaleak » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:00 pm

Good the see the progress, and a fantastic job you're making of her Jeremy. Please keep the pics coming!

I recall Kimbell Construction of Northampton, laying new sewers through the High St here circa 1980. They had a Poclain duck, (not sure of model as Kimbell and sister company MVRH always painted their machines in their own blue livery), reg number was SNV 78 W, which was replaced with an older version, AVV 159 S. Recall the older machine was leaking quite badly on arrival, but was soon repaired and put to work.

As far as I'm aware the 2 piece front screen was introduced on the 'B' series machines along with the servo controls.

essexpete

Post #62 by essexpete » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:26 pm

Hugh Jaleak wrote:Good the see the progress, and a fantastic job you're making of her Jeremy. Please keep the pics coming!

I recall Kimbell Construction of Northampton, laying new sewers through the High St here circa 1980. They had a Poclain duck, (not sure of model as Kimbell and sister company MVRH always painted their machines in their own blue livery), reg number was SNV 78 W, which was replaced with an older version, AVV 159 S. Recall the older machine was leaking quite badly on arrival, but was soon repaired and put to work.

As far as I'm aware the 2 piece front screen was introduced on the 'B' series machines along with the servo controls.

How do you remember reg nos from the early 80s? :D

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #63 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:00 pm

essexpete wrote:
Hugh Jaleak wrote:Good the see the progress, and a fantastic job you're making of her Jeremy. Please keep the pics coming!

How do you remember reg nos from the early 80s? :D

Hate to say it Pete but I win the anorak award for registration numbers, bet I could recall over 200 (I know I used to be able to not so many years ago now :oops: ) :lol: :wave:

Yes Hugh you are correct this is the 'B' series machines with the servo controls, must admit I am very impressed with its performance too, no wonder people liked them. :thumbup:

I will post more pics once we are over this current crisis and I can get up there and get stuck into the work, just itching to get going again.

Jeremy

Hugh Jaleak
Flag: Great Britain

Post #64 by Hugh Jaleak » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:28 pm

essexpete wrote:How do you remember reg nos from the early 80s? :D

Slight trait of Autism I think, (always preferred Machinery to football as a child, (still do), which led to a lot of teasing. Think the reg plate thing came from a Teacher in the late 70's who always wanted to get the best out of everyone in his class. He had some odd, but effective ideas, this was one of them, and it's stuck. Couldn't tell you what I half hour ago, but long term memory for useless facts is still good!

Always thought that Poclain were light years ahead of some of the competition at that time, bearing in mind JCB had only just launched their 805B model, and only took the later addition of servo controls to update the Poclain, Not usually a fan of anything French, (working on a Renault as a teenager put me off, then the neighbours bought a Citroen Visa and that finished it...), but Poclain did impress me with their machinery. Shame Case couldn't leave them alone, all that's left now of Poclain is a small hydraulics division.

essexpete

Post #65 by essexpete » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:43 pm

Funnily enough I bought an old dog of an 814 over 12 years ago with a damaged final drive.
The same guy had a similar age Poclain which I tried to buy but he decided to hang onto to it. Apart from the slightly noisy aircooled Deutz it was light years ahead of the JCB.

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #66 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:44 pm

Well I went up there today and finally got some good work done :thumbup: I decided to tackle the leaking bucket ram seal which has been driving me nuts :dizzy:
The first job was to crack off all the socket caps that secure the cylinder cap and fortunately they all came out pretty easily, the ram pin came out by hand (yay 8-) ) and then once I'd jacked up the ram and disconnected the two feed hoses, then Andrew came round with his telehandler to lift the piston rod out, which also came out easily.
I have removed one of the steel feed pipes completely as it is damaged, both have been clouted at some point in the past but this one has also been squashed so I'll get a new one made up and kill two birds with one stone.
These ram seals aren't a bad job to do once you have the socket caps cracked; Poclain use a simple dowel held in with a spring clip rather that a castle nut and split pin, a much better idea in my opinion.
Once all was covered up I went over and got the Hymac running and left her running for two hours as I am not 100% sure that she's putting diesel in the engine oil so when I go back next week all being well I should be able to confirm that all is good or bad.
At least I came away feeling happier that I had accomplished some good work. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #67 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:04 pm

Well I still have no bits for the Poclain ram yet, but never mind the work carries on; when I got there yesterday it was drizzling so I got a couple of other jobs done up there. Phil Peacock who has just finished restoring a Priestman Wolf up there had a chap come out and apply some decals to it for him, I asked the chap to quote me for some new decals for the Poclain which he did, so I decided to get cracking with painting her again while I was waiting for my parts.
I rubbed down the rear glass fibre bonnet cover, removed the old stickers/decals and the painted it, it will need another coat plus there is a little bit of filling that I need to do, it'll never be a mint job but should look respectable once finished, trouble for me was the day changed quickly and got very hot bringing out the flies which seam to be drawn to wet the paint, I leave em and clean em off next time else it just makes a bigger mess.

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #68 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:14 pm

Finally I got my hands on the bits for the Poclain bucket ram seal, so today I got her put back together :thumbup: she works fine and no leaks now, plus the repair on the steel hydraulic pipe is good.
I went to check the hydraulic oil level and found that there had been some visitors on top of the oil tank, I'm guessing it was a Robin's nest, fortunately it had been vacated to so I ousted it and tidied up.
This time I came away happy feeling that some good work had at last been accomplished. :thumbup:

Jeremy

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #69 by FOWLER MAN » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:27 pm

Hi Jeremy,
Good to see your progress.
How did you find the seal kits to fit?
On the TCS and LC80 Poclains I seem to remember the seal kits, particularly the bearing rings,
being very ridged and a bit of a tussle to fit.
Perhaps they have moved on since then.
Fred

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #70 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:59 pm

FOWLER MAN wrote:Hi Jeremy,
Good to see your progress.
How did you find the seal kits to fit?
On the TCS and LC80 Poclains I seem to remember the seal kits, particularly the bearing rings,
being very ridged and a bit of a tussle to fit.
Perhaps they have moved on since then.
Fred

Hi Fred; so far the seal kits have been okay with the exception of the one bearing ring that did not fit correctly, they were a little tight going in but I plastered them in lubricant so they went in okay, the steel pin that holds the end of the piston rod went in a treat without any difficulty, I did put a bit of Loctite on the steel hose olives and mating surfaces after I had cleaned them up although to be fair the ones on the dipper ram were okay and did not leak after I had done that ram.
Ironically I found the bracket that used to hold the steel pipes to the bucket crowd ram but it has been damaged so I would need to repair it before fitting it, at least the repaired pipe no longer has a horrible kink in it, I will top her up with hydraulic oil next time I'm up there.
I intend to tidy this one up a bit and paint it although the weather hasn't been painting weather; today I patched up a damaged part of the rear upper bonnet cover which I had initially painted on my last visit, I filled a small damaged part of the glass fibre cover.
The Hymac is still in need of some attention although she now works fine, there is one steel pipe that I need to get fixed and tidy the cab up, then paint the sides of the undercarriage, it's never ending but I am enjoying it so far.

Jeremy

Return to “Excavators”