Poclain 75 CKB

Discuss excavators here

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Re: Poclain 75 CKB

Post #41 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:34 am

Mick Annick wrote:Jeremy

Thanks for this, it's brought back a lot of happy memories of Hook in the early 1980's!

Hi Mick did you used to work for Poclain down there? I am finally starting to make good headway with this project, there are still a few jobs that I want to get done before going back to work on the Hymac :thumbup:

Jeremy

Mick Annick
Flag: Great Britain

Post #42 by Mick Annick » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:37 pm

Jeremy

I can't be much help with your restoration I'm afraid, I worked at Hook for two years in the transport department running the low loader fleet, but it's lovely to see one being rescued.

Mick

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #43 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:29 am

I can't be much help with your restoration I'm afraid, I worked at Hook for two years in the transport department running the low loader fleet, but it's lovely to see one being rescued.

Mick

Mick no problem I had just wondered if you had worked on them as I know that Poclain had one of their depots down in that area :thumbup:

Jeremy

XS650

Post #44 by XS650 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:14 am

Just caught up with this thread , well done Jeremy in saving another old beast and Like others have said I do admire your tenacity !
Out of curiosity how far is Meaux from your home ?
Craig
Not all those who wander are lost.

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #45 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:02 am

XS650 wrote:Just caught up with this thread , well done Jeremy in saving another old beast and Like others have said I do admire your tenacity !
Out of curiosity how far is Meaux from your home ?
Craig

Craig it's around the 136 mile mark; takes me around two and a half hours to get there, it's not really a bad journey plus on a Thursday there is a great bunch of lads there. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Mick Annick

Post #46 by Mick Annick » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:37 pm

Jeremy

Hook was Case-Poclain's head office, main workshop, stores and distribution centre for the UK, though there were depots at Halesowen, Leeds, Bolton(?) and Glasgow that I remember.

The two brands were just starting to come together then but served different markets - Case were mainly wheeled loaders including skid steers and a little yard crane, Poclain were only 360 machines, we also handled PPM cranes there.

I only worked in transport - I'd given up the spanners as I didn't like getting dirty for a living!

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #47 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:31 am

Hook was Case-Poclain's head office, main workshop, stores and distribution centre for the UK, though there were depots at Halesowen, Leeds, Bolton(?) and Glasgow that I remember.

The two brands were just starting to come together then but served different markets - Case were mainly wheeled loaders including skid steers and a little yard crane, Poclain were only 360 machines, we also handled PPM cranes there.

I only worked in transport - I'd given up the spanners as I didn't like getting dirty for a living!

Yes Mick I understand why you gave up the spanners as I did that for 11 years of my life but on Trucks; Case bought a large share in Poclain during the mid-seventies and later took control of the whole company during the late eighties, I never realised there was a depot at Halesowen not so very far from where I live. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #48 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:09 pm

Okay so I have managed to get a little more done; although I had not really wanted to start on the cosmetics of the Poclain with the coming winter I want to try and at least get the cab weatherproof so I made a start, the roof was covered in light rust but also had a couple of holes in it that required some filler so I cleaned it all off using my angle grinder and flap-discs. Some filler, two coats of primer and a top coat later I was happy with it, there is supposed to be a chap coming along to put some cab glass in it for me I will be a lot happier then.

I went up there last Thursday with the intention of doing more to the cab but the weather was too wet to permit painting so I decided to tackle the rest of the loose bolts that hold the slew motor in place; there was two that are awkward to get to but I managed to get the old bolts out and two new ones in, the one last loose bolt on the other side which was easier to get on with spanners was more of a problem but with a bit of perseverance I was able to get that out. There was what looked like a loose smaller bolt so I chiselled it off and knocked out what I found to be one of two dowels, these are 17mm diameter so no-standard as I did ask my fastener supplier. I have arrowed this on the one photo, it looks like there is a bolt missing but there is actually a dowel in there, this is an easy fix for me another time.

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #49 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:22 pm

I did get up there a couple of weeks back and made a start on the cab frame around the front windows, for whatever reason some machines have two front windscreens and some only have one, mine has two and I want these in before the winter gets bad, even though the Hymac cab is far from perfect I am getting the screens put in that as well to prevent as much of the wet as possible from getting in. I did manage to run them both up and move them around a bit I don't like them to stop in one position for too long.

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #50 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:28 pm

While I have been busy at my day job I have not had time to escape to the Poclain and Hymac; however working in an engineering based company does have its advantages and I got two new dowels made to fit in the place of the old ones that help keep the Poclain slew box in position.

While I only got one out during my last visit there are actually two dowels, must say that I was surprised that these were made from soft metal, an easy test for this is to try and file the surface with an engineers file, if the file cuts the material it is soft if it does not cut you know it has been hardened.
The only difference that I specified for the new dowels was that the old ones had an M8 thread sticking out to which a nut and washer held the dowel in place, I have arrowed this on the one photo, I simply asked the engineer to drill and tap the dowel M8 at least 20mm deep and I have since inserted a suitable set pin with some 'nut lock' on it that I will cut to length once I am back at the digger.

I had the two new dowels made out of EN24T which is suitably tough enough to do the job you can see the micrometer measurement for the old dowel and the new ones; the old one was roughly 16.35mm so that's well over 0.5mm wear, I had the new ones made to 17.00mm although I suspect they may be a loose fit :think: however there are ways around that so when I next get up there I will try and get them fitted, either way I will apply some 'bearing fit' type adhesive to help keep them in place.

If you look at the old dowel you can see there is a slot in the one side; this is merely a relief to prevent the dowel from compressing air trapped underneath the head thus making it harder to fit, the ones that I have had made have a simple relief ground onto them.

Jeremy

Return to “Excavators”