Controlling engine speed manually?

Discuss excavators here

Topic author
corksil
Flag: United States of America

Controlling engine speed manually?

Post #1 by corksil » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:57 pm

Hey, I had an issue with the throttle controller on my zx35u hitachi. To make a long story short, it broke and I'm still figuring out how to fix it.

It happened about 20 hours ago, and since then I have disconnected the throttle control cable (electronically controlled) and used a cable-tie to position the throttle lever where I need it to be.

Typically, there's an electric motor which pulls the throttle cable (connected to spring loaded throttle lever) and that is how the engine speed is controlled. The rotary/potentiometer switch up near the gauge cluster on the dashboard is how the engine speed is adjusted. Turning the switch clockwise increases the engine speed, and turning the switch counter-clockwise decreases the engine speed.

Because the switch/computer/whatever is having an issue, I've bypassed all of that stuff by putting a cable-tie directly on the throttle lever so I can manually control it's position/speed.

Has anyone ever heard of this being done before? Or any damage that may result? So far I don't have any issues and it has been about 20 hours of "manual" throttle control via my cable-tie.

Thanks!

Randell
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Controlling engine speed manually?

Post #2 by Randell » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:39 am

Sounds like a servo. You could try replacing motor with a metal 9g servo motor and attach it to the throttle cable. Use a servo tester potentiometer to adjust the throttle? Can't see manual throttle control causing any issues.

Return to “Excavators”