Dodgy web sites with plant for sale.

Discuss excavators here

Topic author
le.maisonniau
Flag: France

Dodgy web sites with plant for sale.

Post #1 by le.maisonniau » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:25 am

Hi Guys,
In my search for a used 3 ton mini digger :roll: I have found a couple of sites, that are very dodgy and look like scammers. :thumbdown:
Anybody think there is a need for a section/topic to discuss and pass around details without opening a rats nest of legal stuff? :idea:
When you come to a fork in the road - take it :dizzy:

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Dodgy web sites with plant for sale.

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:52 pm

John, sadly there are plenty of dodgy websites around for all different products and services, I think its just a case of 'buyer beware' it doesn't take a lot to spot these just don't hand over any bank details or money until you are certain about the people/company that you may be about to deal with.

Jeremy

XS650
Flag: Great Britain

Post #3 by XS650 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:43 am

If you look at what else these people have for sale on ebay , there will generally be a Motorhome , a Harley Davidson , a Audi Convertible , a Compact Tractor, a horse box etc all at very cheap prices and all pictured at different locations . Genuine Ads lifted from others .
The difficult ones to spot are the ones who just have one advert lifted in its entirety from elsewhere at a normal price . I contacted an advertiser once with a bike I wanted, Alarm bells rang when he said he was in Scotland with no mobile connection and his English wasn't quite right , as soon as I emailed a few technical questions it was obvious he had no idea what he was talking about.
Ended up winding him up big style for the fun of it.

These people who send money by Western Union for a car that ' I'm bringing back from France' are total idiots.
The cars appear so cheap greed takes over.

Craig
Not all those who wander are lost.

Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Post #4 by Mrsmackpaul » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:41 am

As the old saying goes "if it sounds to good to be true it most likely is "

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

topkit

Post #5 by topkit » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:48 pm

I had my ad when i was selling my Fermec 860 last year it was a 99 machine that i was asking 12k for on Gumtree, the ad was copied and listed on Ebay for 5k what a bargain! I emailed the advertiser they will always ask you to contact them via a different email address and not through EBay and for you to leave your email or a mobile number, then the fun begins or it did in my case! I contact the joker advertising my machine and guess what he was in Scotland although he was working in Ireland so could not show me the digger but he kindley offered me free delivery from Scotland all i had to do was pay via pay-pal or an bank transfer and the digger would be delivered to my door and if i didnt like it i would be refunded - yeh right! So a few more questions and more too good to believe answers ( i nearly bought my own machine it was such a bargain) then the bombshell a said to him i would like to see the digger first so i asked him again where it was and he told me Scotland so i said to him thats amazing as i am looking at it sitting in my yard in Kent, I then proceeded to tell him he was a piece of Eastern European scum in slightly stronger terms and the messages stopped and the ad got pulled, It is well known that these are highly organised Romanian gangs operating these scams the money is chanelled straight out of the deposit accounts in seconds so you have no chance once you make your payment, I have had an indepth conversation with Ebay regarding machinery scams particularly Mini Diggers, Tractors, backhoes, it also happens with classic cars motor caravans etc i suggested a simple piece of software which would weed out ads where the advertiser puts in the usual i cant acces my ebay all of the time so please email me and leave your number etc, this can easily be done and would cost small change for a multi million pound organisation like Ebay, i gave 6 scam ads to the operator on the phone and he said he would notify there security team but as of yet nothing has happened, It also happens on Gumtree too so be carefull out there, i always say if it looks like a bargain and looks like its to good to be true then that is exactly what it is!, :arrrrgh:

Topic author
le.maisonniau

Post #6 by le.maisonniau » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:59 pm

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the replies and input, as far as the internet, ebay etc. goes (hopefully) I am quite savvy :lol: I reported a couple of these sites to Action fraud and my local UK crime office, also ebay, but it amazes me how - when I am not a victim - as I never followed through with a payment , no one seems to be interested. I guess it is difficult to take action, especially when the perp is in a foreign land. I would have thought by now there was an easy way to report intended fraud, like as you chaps are aware it is so obvious.
Hey ho, my search for a 3 tonner continues. :geek:

essexpete

Post #7 by essexpete » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:55 pm

Yes ebay fuammers and ebay appear not togive a flying f.

Jonm

Post #8 by Jonm » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:58 pm

I was looking for a forklift truck, what appeared to be a good one was for sale on ebay. I contacted the seller and asked for a contact phone number. He sent number but said he had trouble with his hearing following a bike accident so could I email or text. All seemed to be going well, we agreed price and transport. The feedback was good but for sold items like womens clothing so I assumed he was using his wife's account. Then I tried to arrange for a professional to inspect the machine for me. At this point he said yes but asked was I serious about buying as someone else was interested. Alarm bells started ringing so I said I would go and look at the machine myself. Then he stopped responding, next thing it was back on ebay for sale. A few days later I got an email from ebay saying an account of a genuine ebayer had been taken over. i then went on completed listings and found the genuine forklift advert and it sold for twice the price the scammer was asking

Things to look out for
1. Go on "all feedback" then "feedback as seller" and it should give what they have sold and when. Check it is consistent with what is being sold.
2. Have one conversation at least with the seller on the phone to try and form an opinion.
3. Be wary of anything which does not quite add up.
4. Be very careful before parting with any money.

And of course the old saying, if it is too good to be true it probably is.

Topic author
le.maisonniau

Post #9 by le.maisonniau » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:42 pm

Hi Guys,

just an update for you, I have today found a mini digger 6kms from my house !!! -- how weird is that. It is a Hitachi EX27U, 2004/5 model but only 3200 hours, in excellent condition, has been kept in a barn so only dusty, every thing is working and cabin/bodywork including seat reflect the hours of use. Overall it is very tidy and bushes and pins tight all round, some minor damage on lhs placcy engine cover - so may be looking for a replacement. All pipework etc. in excellent condition, engine purr's like a kitten, no smoke. m/c lifts itself up on boom and dozer easily. Very happy with it. It also came with a 3.5tonne plant trailer (minor damage to one ramp)
I will pop up a post in main section in the hope someone can help with manuals.
Thanks for all your help and steerage

Jeremy Rowland

Post #10 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:55 pm

le.maisonniau wrote:Hi Guys,

just an update for you, I have today found a mini digger 6kms from my house !!! -- how weird is that. It is a Hitachi EX27U, 2004/5 model but only 3200 hours, in excellent condition, has been kept in a barn so only dusty, every thing is working and cabin/bodywork including seat reflect the hours of use. Overall it is very tidy and bushes and pins tight all round, some minor damage on lhs placcy engine cover - so may be looking for a replacement. All pipework etc. in excellent condition, engine purr's like a kitten, no smoke. m/c lifts itself up on boom and dozer easily. Very happy with it. It also came with a 3.5tonne plant trailer (minor damage to one ramp)
I will pop up a post in main section in the hope someone can help with manuals.
Thanks for all your help and steerage

John glad you have found the machine that you have been looking for :thumbup: sounds good to me.

Jeremy

Return to “Excavators”