Boom & Bust

Discuss excavators here

essexpete

Re: Boom & Bust

Post #11 by essexpete » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:31 pm

That is poor. Jeremy do you mean there are the same type of holes on the other side? Presumably if that is what you mean the whole thing could part company again?

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #12 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:15 pm

essexpete wrote:That is poor. Jeremy do you mean there are the same type of holes on the other side? Presumably if that is what you mean the whole thing could part company again?

Pete there was only one hole in that part of the boom fork on the other side as the pin that retains the dipper arm was secured by a single bolt on the side that originally broke but now as it was better to drill the other side there are now two holes on that side so yes, technically it could break now on the other side.
I am sure that somewhere on the web I have seen a photo of a similar failure of a boom fork on a mini-digger but that was a long time ago and I can't recall the make of the machine; with this Kubota it really did not need two bolts to hold the steel hydraulic pipe, or at least they could have put another single clip further along the top of the boom to support it, a really poor idea as I said earlier or even a design fault with intent.
:think:
Jeremy

mechman
Flag: Great Britain

Post #13 by mechman » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:59 pm

Jeremy.
Did the owner get in touch with Kubota about this problem, if so was there any feed back? It would be interesting to hear what Kubota had to say about It.
Norm. :?:

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #14 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:32 am

mechman wrote:Jeremy.
Did the owner get in touch with Kubota about this problem, if so was there any feed back? It would be interesting to hear what Kubota had to say about It.
Norm. :?:

Norman this company was a small company of builders to who this problem really didn't bother them as such; the repair was done as a favour for one of the lads on the workshop floor who had at one time worked with these people, if I had to take a guess then I'd say that Kubota are only too well aware of this issue, very disappointing from a Japanese company as the Japanese are usually 'tops' on Quality with good products and problems quickly sorted out where they do arise.

Jeremy

modelman093
Flag: Great Britain

Post #15 by modelman093 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:10 pm

I had a similar problem with a Priestman 220 years ago.

Fred, we know that you are a man of great experience, but 220 years ........... !!!!!
Seriously though, I'm sure that I'm not alone in enjoying your quality posts and sharing that great experience.

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #16 by FOWLER MAN » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:17 pm

modelman093 wrote:
I had a similar problem with a Priestman 220 years ago.

Fred, we know that you are a man of great experience, but 220 years ........... !!!!!
Seriously though, I'm sure that I'm not alone in enjoying your quality posts and sharing that great experience.

Hi Angus,
You're right. Not even I go back that far, though I have been around plant since the 1950s :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'll have to remember to put the comers and stops in the right places. :oops: :thumbup:
I'm always pleased to share my experiences, particularly if that can be of help to someone along the way.
Many thanks.
Fred

Return to “Excavators”