Dyggor Gaylord

Discuss excavators here

Topic author
Dah
Flag: Great Britain

Dyggor Gaylord

Post #1 by Dah » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:44 pm

A few from my collection showing the P&H 1200's and lots of other kit in the Giltbrook yard.

Dave
56.jpg
117.jpg
115.jpg
76_NEW.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Dah

Re: Dyggor Gaylord

Post #2 by Dah » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:46 pm

In my second picture, what model is the big Marion?

Dave

Jeremy Rowland

Post #3 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:41 am

Cracking pics Dave :claphands: thanks for sharing :thumbup:

Jeremy

68a

Post #4 by 68a » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:01 am

Good pics mate

Gerard

Post #5 by Gerard » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:38 am

Nice pictures. Good to see some old big kit!

Mark Williams

Post #6 by Mark Williams » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:49 am

Hi Dave,
after looking through my many photos & pictures in books & on line,I am going to say that the navvy machinery house photo in the Gilltbrook yard is of a Marion 182M,low cabbed version.The only company to my knowledge that had this version was Derek Crouch @ its Sisters site in Morpeth which was partnered with E73 high cabbed version there.This particular E71 machine was transferred to his Togston site & had a fresh coat of paint. DG might have purchased it after completion of the site?
E73 was bought new with E72 a Marion 191M for the Llanild coal site in South Wales with 11 new Lectra-Haul M100 trucks & 10 Caterpillar 777s. There was also a new early version RB 195B purchased & a used early Lima 2400 shovel & a Caterpillar 992 wheel loader. They were then transferred to the Sisters site & then up to the Westfield site in Scotland.There were 4 more M100s bought for the Sisters site.
Taylor Woodrow operated 4 new Sumitomo Marion 182M high cabbed versions @ the Butterwell site which were NCB owned & added 2 of their own,6 in total for the same contract.the TW ones were painted Taywood Green. TW also bought a new RB 195B for the contract.
Hope this is of interest,
Regards,
Mark Williams.

Topic author
Dah

Post #7 by Dah » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:13 pm

Hi Mark

Thank you very much for the information- much appreciated.

I think you are spot on - a 182M is all I can think of too. Think I have seen a picture of it being transported on a girder trailer at some point.

Dave

Mark Williams

Post #8 by Mark Williams » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:30 am

Hya Dave,
If you go on Google & do a search of Marion 182M shovels,you will see some photos of the Derek Crouch shovels @ their various sites & in their different colours over the years.Maybe you could post them on this subject as I don't know how to.The high cabbed version is shown on there @ Sisters & then repainted yellow loading another Lectra-Haul @ Westfeild. The low cabbed version is shown @ Togston, with a fresh coat of white & yellow paint.
There is a photo of the high cabbed machine loading a Lectra-Haul truck of Derek Crouch in Bill Huxleys opencast coal book.
I made a mistake on the amount of trucks @ the Llanilid site,there were 15 new Lectra-Hauls & 4 @ Sisters.All the trucks ended up Westfeild on the backfill I was told.They apparently had to have updates carried out on their grid boxes for their dynamic retarding, due to over heating because of the steep down ramps.
The Marion 191M @ Llanilid had a big accident while it was there,the bank it was sitting on 1 weekend slipped due to heavy rain & it tipped completely upside down.After some clever rigging & 4 big pulley systems,Alan Armstrong the plant manager & his team,assisted by a Lima 2400 shovel up righted the 191M with minimal damage.After its time transferred to the North East,it was sold to Beltrami Industries in PA USA.
Hope this is of some interest,
Mark Williams.

Mark Williams

Post #9 by Mark Williams » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:27 am

Hya Dave,
I found another photo of the Derek Crouch high cabbed E72 shovel @ the sisters site loading a Lectra-Haul M100 truck & a Cat 834 wheel-dozer on clean up duty by the side of it.If you go into Google & do a search of Derek Crouch Marion shovels & click on images,schroll through & you will see the grey coloured shovel.Derek Crouch also operated Euclid R65s & early fibreglass cabbed Caterpillar 769 & 773 trucks @ his various sites.
Merriman & Meighan were hired in with their range of Caterpillar scrapers & equipment.
On the backfill @ the Druridge bay site,Neil Becher had his fleet of Caterpillar 657B scrapers there with various Caterpillar D9 & Komatsu pushers.
I found out last night in Bill Huxleys book,that Derek Crouch had ordered 3 new Marion 191M shovels for the Butterwell site in the 70s,but it was awarded to Taylor Woodrow & the order was cancelled.
regards,
Mark Williams.

Return to “Excavators”