Northwests still working

Discuss excavators here

Topic author
Shovelman

Northwests still working

Post #1 by Shovelman » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:16 am

Yesterday I was filling my vehicle with fuel and a guy came up to me and asked "you like those things?" I didn't know what he was referring to, so I asked him what he meant. He said "Northwest crawlers". I happened to be wearing the shirt shown below.

Original URL: http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f372/shovelman1/n4_zpsd3ppxq5j.jpg

Anyway, the conversation continued and he said he knew where there were some still working daily so I took down the directions he gave me. Not expecting to find anything more than a rusting hulk, I still couldn't resist the urge to satisfy my curiosity. On the final road of the directions, I slowed for a sharp right turn and this came into view.

Original URL: http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f372/shovelman1/n3_zpsv0ooiebh.jpg

After taking that photo and a few others I turned around and saw this.

Original URL: http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f372/shovelman1/n2_zpsvxp3lgx9.jpg

I then proceeded on to the company office and made my introduction. The secretary got one of the principals on the phone and he offered a tour next week of all their pits and said I hadn't seen anything yet. I'm more than anxious to see what he means by that. And on my way out I saw this in the distance.

Original URL: http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f372/shovelman1/n1_zpshejqvc0q.jpg

Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Re: Northwests still working

Post #2 by Mrsmackpaul » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:36 pm

Shovelman wrote: I still couldn't resist the urge to satisfy my curiosity.

And I bet you really tried hard to resist LOL

Mate it is amazing what older gear is still getting used and sometimes right under our nose I hope you remember the camera we will all be waiting with baited breath

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Jeremy Rowland

Post #3 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:58 pm

Nice find there John :claphands: :thumbup: you'll have to get some photos of them in action.

Jeremy

Old-iron-habit
Flag: United States of America

Post #4 by Old-iron-habit » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:09 pm

Great pictures. Thanks for posting them and I look forward to more when you do the tour. Take your gloves, you just might get a little seat time.

Topic author
Shovelman

Post #5 by Shovelman » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:16 am

Paul,

Resistance was futile and I couldn't wait! I'm still having great difficulty accepting the fact that these machines have been so close (2hrs driving) for decades and I never knew it???

Jeremy,

Action photos are the goal and they will come, but my tour yesterday wasn't what it could have been because of rain. These shovels are digging clay/shale for the manufacture of bricks and are used as needed to maintain stockpiles of different grades of material. It's certainly going to take a series of visits to get photos of all the shovels in action, but I will be diligent.

Old-iron-habit,

I've always got my boots on and the hard hat, safety vest/glasses, gloves, etc. in a bag in my truck at all times. And it has been the difference between getting into some operations and not over the decades. I think that may have been the difference in this situation. I'll pursue some seat time before all is said and done!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

And so I visited the company yesterday. As mentioned previously all load/haul operations were suspended because of rain, but I still went on a bit of a tour as much as possible with the company 4X4. More 25s along with models 41, 6 and 80-D.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #6 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:54 am

Stick with it John :thumbup: its always great when you find an old classic still at work and even better when there's more than one of them and they're on your doorstep too. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Post #7 by Mrsmackpaul » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:31 pm

fantastic stuff John its always good to get see old stuff still working your a lucky fella must have been a boy scout once always be prepared with your hat and vest

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Anders
Flag: Sweden

Post #8 by Anders » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:43 pm

That was great to see!
NorthWests are truly an outstanding piece of machinery!

Possibly I will go to watch a 6 Pullshovel next week :)

Anders

Return to “Excavators”