Hymac 580BT 1969

Discuss excavators here

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Re: Hymac 580BT 1969

Post #31 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:55 pm

Hi Nick welcome to CMN :wave: I will see what I can find out for you; I am supposed to be seeing Tony Flint so he should be able to recommend a course of action, it may be that the seals in the unit have gone? I will try and find out for you.

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #32 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:56 pm

Nick I have just looked through an old 580D parts manual and I assume that you are referring to the rotary distributor that is centrally mounted on the machine and takes the hydraulic oil down from the machines upper works to the undercarriage?
It has four hoses that enter the top of the body and four that come out of the side? If that is the correct part that I am looking at then I can see no part where oil can leak from other than the hoses or their connectors on top of the distributor or if the main seals inside have blown?
Can you post some photos of the valve and its location?

Jeremy

nickcatt

Post #33 by nickcatt » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:10 am

Hi Jeremy,
Thanks for you reply , I have just crawled under 580 the ground is frozen here so have wet knees & elbos lol, here attached is the offending part its the threaded hollow tub in the middle where the oil escapes.

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #34 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:46 am

Nick that looks like the base of the rotary distributor; I suspect that the main seals inside may need replacing, I am due to speak to Tony Flint so I will see what he has to say about it and how easy or difficult it is to rectify as a job.

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #35 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:33 pm

Nick I have spoken to Tony Flint about this problem and he tells me that it is the seals in the rotary distributor that need replacing; apparently it is a more awkward job to tackle on a 580D that other 580 machines.

Jeremy

nickcatt

Post #36 by nickcatt » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:33 pm

Hi Jeremy,
many thanks I will weather permitting get my spanners out and have a look , I have found a supplier of the bits so will keep you posted.
cheers
nick

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #37 by FOWLER MAN » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:37 pm

hi Nick,
I just noticed your posts.
It's many years since I resealed one of these and then only on the 580B,BT and Cs but I think the Distributor itself is identical to the D.
The nut where the oil is dripping from is on the centre pin and secures the distributor spool in its housing. It is locked with a "Painut" which is normally re-usable with care. There is a thrust washer too which can be seen in your pic.
In theory if you remove the four feed pipes and locking bar/bracket from the top of the distributor and the nut from the centre pin below you can draw out the spool from its housing complete with the offending seals, ( I think there are 5 and some O rings under the top cap). There'll be another thrust washer on the inside under the spool too.
I say in theory, I can't remember how much you will have to remove to get at it and I've never had one out of a D anyway.
You'll possibly have to remove the whole unit and that's an awkward job up in the turret.
If so be prepared for a substantial spill of oil. Relieve all the pressures before you start, don't forget the hyd. tank is pressurised too. Release the cap.
I always had plugs ready to blank off the pipes and plenty of rags, oilskins may be handy too.
Fred

68a

Post #38 by 68a » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:36 am

Morning Jeremy.
I have just read your thread from the start.Well done on your machine as I know you are a keen lover on Hymacs.
It's a pain it's so far away from your base and I reakon you need to find new digs for it.
The first machine I ever drove was one of those 580's.I was seven at the time and used to dig huge trenches as deep and as wide as it would go.Every hour or so,my dad would come over and track it back to the next cut for me as I wasn't allowed to track it.
It had flat'navy' track pads on it with big chains driving the sprokets and it was my first taste in machines.My father would tidy the bottom of the dig up with the big 955K ,but I wasn't let loose on it.He must have figured that seven was abit young for the big Drott!

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #39 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:27 pm

Nicky; yes she is far from base camp so it makes me plan more carefully my trips up there to carry out work, to be fair there are advantages of having her sited where she is in as much as there is usually another pair of skilled hands around for those more tricky jobs and I get to play when its the 'working events' held up there as I would not be able to afford the costs of transport to get her to shows etc.
I did give her the first use in 'anger' so as to speak at Andrew's last 'working event' the only casualty was a leak from one of the steel supply pipes to the boom hoist and a circlip that secures the top of one of the boom hoist rams has gone missing, nothing that is above my limited skills to get sorted. There are two other larger jobs that I may well get Tony Flint to tackle for me just depending on time and circumstances but as I have intimated before I intend a steady restoration job so I will see how things pan out. :thumbup:
Here's a few photos taken at Andrew's last working event by Rose who is a friend of mine and who I took along with her daughter; they both enjoyed themselves.

Jeremy

Nick Drew

Post #40 by Nick Drew » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:32 pm

Great to see you enjoying her my old mate!

Loving the topsoil stripping blade on her too!

Nick

Return to “Excavators”