Backhoe Parking Position

Discuss excavators here

Topic author
Dah
Flag: Great Britain

Backhoe Parking Position

Post #1 by Dah » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:45 am

Hi,

I always assumed that backhoes should be parked with the bucket on the floor, in case the rams were creeping or someone messed about with the levers whilst it was parked.

I've noticed at EP Industries that they park the new Hyundai backhoes with the boom fully raised to save space. Just wondering if new machines are Ok being parked like this with modern hydraulics, boom locks etc or if it is still a bad idea?

I couldn't see any locking sleeves etc on the rams like you sometimes see at exhibitions.

Dave.

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Backhoe Parking Position

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:59 pm

Dah wrote:Hi,

I always assumed that backhoes should be parked with the bucket on the floor, in case the rams were creeping or someone messed about with the levers whilst it was parked.

I've noticed at EP Industries that they park the new Hyundai backhoes with the boom fully raised to save space. Just wondering if new machines are Ok being parked like this with modern hydraulics, boom locks etc or if it is still a bad idea?

I couldn't see any locking sleeves etc on the rams like you sometimes see at exhibitions.

Dave.

Yes Dave I have noticed this too; perhaps the risk is considered to be okay if they are new stored machines so long as they cannot fall on anybody, this would however not be okay on site or if the machine was being worked on.

Jeremy

Joes1989
Flag: Great Britain

Post #3 by Joes1989 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:21 pm

i always but the bucket on the deck personally! The new Hitachi im on creeps dramatically so i put it on the deck for safe keeping! The Komatsu pc130-8 i had before never budged an inch!

Ive always been under the impression that if the arm is fully raised it wont creep simply because its passed its centre of gravity so all the weight is towards the rear of the machine so it doesnt creep.

Alot of the dealers ive been too seem to park it with the arms up as it really does create alot more room in the yard

Old-iron-habit
Flag: United States of America

Post #4 by Old-iron-habit » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:41 pm

On all my old antiques I always try to lay the boom and bucket flat out and have the cylinders retracted when ever possible while still being safe. Its keeps the chrome rods from getting rust on them in our humid climate. Of course this has no bearing on machines that get used often.

68a

Post #5 by 68a » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:47 am

When you get out....throw the longest lever out...
Down.
Seen this before and really can't get my head around it.

68a

Post #6 by 68a » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:48 am

Need to be careful how you park a long reach excavator as the dipper can bend in short time

Return to “Excavators”