Who built this excavator?????

Discuss excavators here

Topic author
FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Who built this excavator?????

Post #1 by FOWLER MAN » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:46 pm

OK Folks,
A little known peice of excavator history here.
What "BRITISH" company built this excavator :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: It appeared at the Public Works Exhibition in 1954.
I beleive it was on a "Fordson Cost Cutter" chasis with the Briggs cab.

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Who built this excavator?????

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:54 pm

Nice one Fred :thumbup: it looks awfully like a copy of the early French built Poclain but I have no idea who made this one; one thing I can say is that it is not a Hymac :lol:

Jeremy

Shovelman

Post #3 by Shovelman » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:23 am

Hi Fred,

Respectfully, I have to wonder if you're intentionally presenting us with a ruse? No doubt "built" is the most important word in your question??? I'm thinking there's a story here and look forward to reading it.

The photo you posted shows a Poclain model TU mounted on the old post-war three-axle chassis produced by Dodge, GMC, Berliet, etc.. To the best of my knowledge the Fordson "Cost Cutter" was only and ever a 4X2.

I'm not trying to be contrary about this matter, but feel it's important to get the facts right. Maybe there was some kind of embargo going on then? I don't know, but we will have the truth soon. I like the idea of a "secret" shipment of a TU to the UK for a show/exposition and the convoluted story of how difficult it was.

'All the best,

John

Topic author
FOWLER MAN

Post #4 by FOWLER MAN » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:52 pm

Shovelman wrote:Hi Fred,

Respectfully, I have to wonder if you're intentionally presenting us with a ruse? No doubt "built" is the most important word in your question??? I'm thinking there's a story here and look forward to reading it.

The photo you posted shows a Poclain model TU mounted on the old post-war three-axle chassis produced by Dodge, GMC, Berliet, etc.. To the best of my knowledge the Fordson "Cost Cutter" was only and ever a 4X2.

I'm not trying to be contrary about this matter, but feel it's important to get the facts right. Maybe there was some kind of embargo going on then? I don't know, but we will have the truth soon. I like the idea of a "secret" shipment of a TU to the UK for a show/exposition and the convoluted story of how difficult it was.

'All the best,

John

Hello John,
"Built" is indeed the opperative word. :thumbup:
You and Jeremy are right to think Poclain, it is in fact as you say basicly the model TU. :)

:?: :?: :?: My question still stands Which "British" company built and marketed it in the 1950s. :?: :?: :?:
For good measure where was the factory :?:

Now to the Ford "Cost Cutter" or to name it correctly Ford Thames ET6 6X4. These were develloped for The Military and used by the Amy and RAF as generator and radio vehicles.
The original Military version obviously was petrol powered, but they then became available with a Perkins P6 and eventualy with Fords own 4D. Please see pics below.
Ex. RAF Generator truck.
M H Eales ET6 Tipper.
A E farr of Westbury ET6 Tippers

If you look carefully at the excavator pic. in my original post you can just make out the shape of the Ford "Banjo Axle" rear diff :think: Sadly I'm old enough to remember. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I remember the factory where the Poclains were built too, but didn't know about the Poclain connection till recently.
Best regards.
Fred

hair bear
Flag: Great Britain

Post #5 by hair bear » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:41 pm

The chassis could well be a County, as for mating the two machines - pass. Chassis registered in Kent.
If a LandRover doesn't leak oil, it's run out.

Topic author
FOWLER MAN

Post #6 by FOWLER MAN » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:22 pm

hair bear wrote:The chassis could well be a County, as for mating the two machines - pass. Chassis registered in Kent.

Hi Rob,
I don't think they were anything to do with County in those days :?: But that registration could be a clue.
Fred

Jeremy Rowland

Post #7 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:12 pm

Could it be Whitlock? :think:

Jeremy

Topic author
FOWLER MAN

Post #8 by FOWLER MAN » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:49 pm

Not Whitlock Jeremy.
I did say there may be a clue in the Kentish registration plate.
Fred

Shovelman

Post #9 by Shovelman » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:35 am

Hey Fred,

Thanks for the clarification on the carrier! I've never seen a tandem axle FT6 or FT7 on any of my trips to your country over the last 30 years.

But back to the mystery trivia at hand; would I be correct in that this TU came to the UK in components and was simply assembled there? I'm also thinking it was assembled by a company not normally associated with earthmoving equipment?

Am I on the right track or not?

John

mechman
Flag: Great Britain

Post #10 by mechman » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:00 pm

HI Fred.
I can't get me head around the ram configuration (Looks like both rams operating on same arm) also what lifts the boom.(excuse my thickness)
Norm.

Return to “Excavators”