reclaiming a few acres of roughish land

Discuss excavators here

Topic author
v8detroit
Flag: Ireland

reclaiming a few acres of roughish land

Post #1 by v8detroit » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:26 am

spent the last week reclaiming 2 acres on our farm .trying to make this into a field :o :o.every time you put the bucket in the ground you get rocks and more rocks does your head in .the second pic is the finished job just got to pick the stones and seed it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by v8detroit on Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Re: reclaiming a few acres of roughish land

Post #2 by Mrsmackpaul » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:32 am

rock on I guess is all I can say LOL

what do you do with the rocks once you dig them out ???

I know in Australia they use a ripper tyne for digging rocks out and then balance the rocks just on the one tyne

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Jeremy Rowland

Post #3 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:40 am

Some nice size pebbles there John you could always make a rockery! shame you couldn't sell them some folk like a decorative rock in their garden, guess you'll have to find a corner of your field to pile em up.

Jeremy

Topic author
v8detroit

Post #4 by v8detroit » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:49 pm

Mrsmackpaul wrote:rock on I guess is all I can say LOL

what do you do with the rocks once you dig them out ???

I know in Australia they use a ripper tyne for digging rocks out and then balance the rocks just on the one tyne

Paul

Paul we dig the rocks out then dig a big hole which brings up a grey material which when wet is like readymix concrete and when dry is rock hard .then bury the rocks and level the ground.

Topic author
v8detroit

Post #5 by v8detroit » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:53 pm

Jeremy Rowland wrote:Some nice size pebbles there John you could always make a rockery! shame you couldn't sell them some folk like a decorative rock in their garden, guess you'll have to find a corner of your field to pile em up.

Jeremy

hi Jeremy we usually bury the rocks so we can get what we call grey earth which is like readymix concrete when wet but goes rock hard after a few days.i kept the reasonably square one for my own house which i need to do a retaing wall .job for next year ;) ;)

Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Post #6 by Mrsmackpaul » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:31 pm

John in Victoria on the western plains back in the 90's there was a mob that had this great big vibrating roller that they towed around with a D 9 size machine the roller weighed around 50 ton and all the rock plains out there the volcanic rock just sort of vibrated to dust as they drove over the paddock if that makes any sense have been looking on google for it I might have to phone friend to see if I can track down some pictures but from what I can remember they might cross the paddock once or twice then they sow the paddock to a crop wheat or barley
My parents farm is on the eastern edge of the western plains right near Melbourne and as fast as they have removed rocks fresh ones seem to sprout in there place LOL

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Return to “Excavators”