JCB 3c III - Fast running engine problem - help – Part 2 aka Lucas CAV DPA Injector Pump

Discuss excavators here

Topic author
stevejcb

JCB 3c III - Fast running engine problem - help – Part 2 aka Lucas CAV DPA Injector Pump

Post #1 by stevejcb » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:35 am

Hi everyone.

As this post is quite large and i have had problems uploading the file - would you kindly not post a comment until you see my name appear at the end - this will maintain thread of topic.

Thank you

Topic author
stevejcb

Re: JCB 3c III - Fast running engine problem - help – Part 2 aka Lucas CAV DPA Injector Pump

Post #2 by stevejcb » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:40 am

Firstly I must apologise for the delay. Having decided that an exchange/recon Injector Pump was too costly, I opted for a second-hand pump. I managed to find and agree on one with the Leicester GP; however I was let down. Anyhow, all of this led me to remove the pump (well of course I had to) but I’m glad I did, because I was able to rectify the problem myself.

Having thoroughly cleaned the appropriate side of the engine with engine cleaner, and having previously detached the throttle and stop cable, throttle nut and arm I removed the air manifold pipe, plus wire and sealed the port along with the manifold fuel pipe. (This allowed better access). It was at this stage I decided to remove the pump complete with all of its supply and return fuel pipes, including the injector supply pipes (why? because I doubted I would be able to access all of the injector pipes from the pump, particularly the one below and closest to the engine casing, without ripping my knuckles or swearing profusely). You will see from the pictures all fuel pipes were marked and all ends/ports blocked. There was not much fuel loss to capture as most of this remained in the pump body itself. (see pic below)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
stevejcb

Re: JCB 3c III - Fast running engine problem - help – Part 2 aka Lucas CAV DPA Injector Pump

Post #3 by stevejcb » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:42 am

Fuel injector ends were undone and sealed from dirt I didn’t think it necessary to seal the injectors as these are angled down. See pic below.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
stevejcb

Post #4 by stevejcb » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:44 am

With the 3 nuts attaching the injector pump to the engine undone and the washers removed. (Why I didn’t unplug the alternator cable beats me) I was able to withdraw the pump. The gasket was left in situ. See pic below.

Topic author
stevejcb

Post #5 by stevejcb » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:46 am

On removal, I noted where the locating notch was in reference to the pump (necessary for re-insertion) - the splines were in good order. See pic below.

Topic author
stevejcb

Post #6 by stevejcb » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:48 am

A better camera would have picked out the detail of the female location. See pic below.

Topic author
stevejcb

Post #7 by stevejcb » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:49 am

Injector pump removed complete with pipe work (there was little problem taking it out with all pipes attached). See pic below.

Topic author
stevejcb

Post #8 by stevejcb » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:53 am

The pump, after another good clean. Note how the pump is heavily flaked, also the security wires are broken (something already noted on the top). The identification label is worn and unreadable. No doubt it has seen better days over the 34 years of existence. See pic below.

Topic author
stevejcb

Post #9 by stevejcb » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:55 am

With the top 2 nuts undone, the throttle spindle was gently tapped downwards enabling the lid to be removed. See pic below.

Topic author
stevejcb

Post #10 by stevejcb » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:57 am

Top removed showing the spindle placed to one side. (Can you spot the culprit to my problem already?). see pic below.

Return to “Excavators”