Komatsu PC400s

Discuss excavators here

Topic author
RichardJW~

Komatsu PC400s

Post #1 by RichardJW~ » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:13 pm

Heres a selection of Komatsu PC400s that were engaged in storm repairs on a beach here in the west country. the small village of Hallsands [three houses, a post box and dog called Nigel!] almost got washed in to the sea back in 1993/94??? so they called in the heavy mob to peel back the sand, put down a membrane and then cover with some sand then place rocks over it.

Unfortunatly the pic size is not too good, theyre scans from 35mm pics and I didnt get the psi or whatever it is high enough

What series are these ones with the white flash on the hoods, one pic here shows two diff. types, both 400s.

And a Poclain chucked in for good measure....

Nick Drew

Re: Komatsu PC400s

Post #2 by Nick Drew » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:54 pm

Superb shots Richard,

Thanks for sharing them!! Hawkins were a firm from up country who have operated under quite a few different names over the years :dizzy: Less said about that the better me thinks!! They are called Hawk Plant at this moment in time :roll:

The Komatsus with the White flash are if my memory serves me right Dash-3 machines and the other one minus the flash is a Dash-2, I have operated both models in the past and I liked them all, in fact I really rate Komatsu excavators they are very good machines.

I like the Poclain 160 pic could you post it in the Poclain thread here ??

Keep those kind of shots coming please!

Nick. :thumbs_up:

Neil D
Flag: Great Britain

Post #3 by Neil D » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:18 am

Nick
Having owned PC180-5 until recently the machine with the blue only is dash 3 and the versions with the white stripe and cab are the dash 5s.
Regards
Neil

Nick Drew

Post #4 by Nick Drew » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:52 pm

Hi Neil,

Thanks for that, I had always been led to believe that the dash-5 models were yellow with Dark Grey cabs like the one I was driving in the photo below....I expect my old memory is playing up!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

IBH

Post #5 by IBH » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:49 pm

Nick Drew wrote:Superb shots Richard,
Thanks for sharing them!! Hawkins were a firm from up country who have operated under quite a few different names over the years :dizzy: Less said about that the better me thinks!! They are called Hawk Plant at this moment in time :roll:
Nick. :thumbs_up:

Now Im not absolutely certain about this but I think the Hawkins name on PC 400s is the name of Hawkins Plant Services a Welsh company who were bought by another company called Barcom.
Barcom were bought by GE Capital and became what is currently GE Equipment Services: Plant Hire, but a few years ago the heavy equipment side was loss making and was sold to AMPL (Alfred McAlpines plant business).
But Hawkins Plant Services was run by a Mike Hawkins who left in 1994 Hawkins has decided to pursue his continuing involvement in the plant industry on his own account (from Contract Journal)...the chairman of Shropshire based Hawk Group is a Mike Hawkins!
So it looks like two seperate companies but with the same founder.

http://www.hawk-group.co.uk
Contract Journal article source:
http://www.contractjournal.com/Articles ... moves.html

Return to “Excavators”