O&K RH300, NSM and their Gresley and Godkin Sites.

Discuss excavators here

Dah
Flag: Great Britain

Re: O&K RH300, NSM and their Gresley and Godkin Sites.

Post #21 by Dah » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:57 pm

Hi Brian,

I have a picture of my father standing in the bucket with his arms stretched out wide. He was over 6 feet tall and the widths of his arms were barely noticable in the bucket!

dpan
Flag: United States of America

Post #22 by dpan » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:59 am

Hi Dave,
This history doesn't discuss your interest in the loading devices either hoes or shovels, of NSM during time period in question. In photos and the first post in this thread 170 Haulpaks are mentioned. Do not know when they left the Uk but in early 90's at least two of them showed up at a couple taconite mines one in UP other in Minnesota. There may have been two at Hibtac, Minnesota. Know there was only one at the Empire. Hibtac had been running 170 for many years, Empire was stuck at 120's until late 80's. both property's wanted 170's, Empire had received six new in late 80's and wanted more but back log was forget how long. Some one in organization found that Dom-Ex, some of the international guys on here may be familiar with that name, had acquired operational 170 trucks and had not broke them up for parts. Also can't recall how long they remained at each mine before They were removed. Hibtac received some of early 830's, 240 ton, Empire waited until the 2500 Hp 830 available as that is a deep pit. Long since early 90's both property's have gone to 240 and 320 ton.
In the thread at bottom of this section the pictures on the pink box truck parked at bay door where the NSM truck or trucks would have been parked at some point in life at that site. In a way small world isn't it.

Dah

Post #23 by Dah » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:19 pm

Hi Wayne,

It really is a small world! I think you are around the right time for the 170's going to the US - I remember one being transported with no wheels, skip or cab. Wasn't sure what it was for a while it was so stripped-down!

They were big beasts for the UK back then - we've had 789's since but in the 80's they were something to experience as they past you!

Greasemonkey
Flag: Canada

Post #24 by Greasemonkey » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:45 am

Dave, that must be a neat picture.

Brian

Ross

Post #25 by Ross » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:14 pm

Nice revival.

Oil leaks & Kracks.

Am sure this machine suffered.

Mark Williams

Post #26 by Mark Williams » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:33 am

Hello Everyone,
I read somewhere that @ the time of the O&K RH300, the economic decline in the world mining market, basically sealed the fate of the RH300.In the meantime the expertise & technology that went by,with all the big hydraulic machine manufacturers,that when the global market picked up again, with the ever popular RH120C, basically on every mine,in the UK & the new RH200,on the market which was in the same category as the RH300 & was more reliable,was more appealing to mine management.
I would like to know the reason, why the 4 Wabco trucks were parked.Could it have been the diesel electric drive-train & spare parts availability & wet British weather, as to the Cats traction aid wheel groups & Cat global parts availability?
Thanks,
Mark Williams.

Dah

Post #27 by Dah » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:48 pm

Hi
The wabcos were parked as the cat 785s became available from the roughcastle site (when they got their 789s to run with the demag 485).

I would imagine it could have been to do with the overall cost per ton - I'm sure that cat would have put together a pretty attractive package for coal contractors to use the 785s.

The RH300s days were also already numbered when the switch was made to use the 785s (an extra rh120 and an rh90 had arrived). The RH120s at godkin could load the 785s but weren't a good match for the wabcos so I would guess it made sense to use them until the 300 got parked.

Big trucks were in short supply back then so I'm sure that coal contractors got a decent price for the wabcos. Also remember that cat had only just introduced the 785 and later the 789 back then so imagine there was lots of incentive to have them running at godkin.

Return to “Excavators”