JCB 3Ciio

Discuss excavators here

Topic author
wiff

JCB 3Ciio

Post #1 by wiff » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:07 pm

Was the JCB 3Ciii available as a four wheel drive option?

Stormin
Flag: Great Britain

Re: JCB 3Ciio

Post #2 by Stormin » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:11 pm

No is the answer for the 3CIII

Some machines are seen with larger front tyres with a grippy tread rather than the smoother three rib typical tractor tyres. This could give the impression that there is drive and traction to be had from the front axle. Fourwheel drive didnt come to JCB's backhoe loaders until the 3CX era.

Some one on here with more knowledge could tell you exactly which year and which project no 6 or 7 the 4wd came in.

The easy way to spot a fourwheel drive model without getting underneath is by the large reduction hubs on the front wheels.

essexpete

Post #3 by essexpete » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:03 pm

The wider tractor grip seemed to last longer, be less prone to punctures and give more grip to the front axle when steering in slippery conditions. Just IMHO.

4 wheel drive was available on the white cab 3CX fairly early on, we had a W reg one kept in our yard for a few years. It would mostly run circles around our old 3C111.

Topic author
wiff

Post #4 by wiff » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:46 pm

Many thanks for putting my mind at rest!!

We used to have a "W" plated 3Ciii, with the cleated Goodyear front tyre and then a "C"reg, 3CX with 4wd - just couldn't remember if 4wd was a 3C list option.

I am still looking for a 3Ciii suitable for renovation , to relive my childhood!!!

Return to “Excavators”