Steel to Rubber Tracks - what do I need to change?

Discuss excavators here

Topic author
Woody3

Steel to Rubber Tracks - what do I need to change?

Post #1 by Woody3 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:12 pm

Hi everyone,

If I wanted to swap the steel tracks on my KH66, to rubber tracks, what else would I need to change? I would have to changed my nearly new sprockets would I?

After over a month of use on one of my repaired links, the thing snapped on me today. I do actually have a spare link, but when we repaired the links (2 of) last time, it was impossible to push the pin through on this failed link, even when using an industrial hydraulic press. :arrrrgh:

Daft question, but why don't companies sell links separately? I only need half a dozen...

Any pointers would be gratefully recieved.

Many thanks,

W.

Gerard

Re: Steel to Rubber Tracks - what do I need to change?

Post #2 by Gerard » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:59 am

You possibly might have to change the sprockets, idlers and rollers, but i might be wrong, best thing to do would be try and get the specs of the steel tracks and the rubber tracks and compare them and then look at the prices involved, the centre to center of the links could be different, and different widths also.

on the steel track there will be one master pin, probably a dot or dimple it will be the one easily removed. the rest are really ment to be there to stay, i have had to burn them out, if you have a local undercarriage supplier see if they can source you links for your chain, it wont be a Kubota made track. it would probably come with left link, right link, bush, pin and spacers and you have to build it yourself.

hope I was of some help.
Gerard

Topic author
Woody3

Post #3 by Woody3 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:12 am

Thanks Gerard.

I thought it wouldn't be has straight forward as I was hoping.

A month or so back when I purchased my sprockets, I enquired about separate links for the steel tracks, but the companies were only prepared to sell me the whole track.

I'll do some phoning around again today and see if I get anywhere.

Thanks again,

W.

bigkit
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by bigkit » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:38 pm

The trouble with a 66 is the pad and link are in one if I recall. It would be a pain to strip out, not like a larger machine with a separate chain and components. I have just done the same to an old 101, sprockets the same, kept the bottom rollers and the idlers. Cut off the track guides by the iders that hang down they will cut the new rubber ones. The only drawback to keeping your old rollers is that the steel track version run inside the chain, the rubber ones are wider and run on the outside. Works fine but the track are more susceptable to rolling/twisting. and the ride is not so smooth. Change them over time.

:thumbup: Go for it!

Topic author
Woody3

Post #5 by Woody3 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:36 pm

Thanks bigkit.

I've managed to remove the damaged link and join the track back together again, so it'll do for now. If anyone has any old odd links to suit KH66 steel tracks kicking about let me know.

Failing that, I'll get one rubber track at a time :lol:

Thanks all :)

Return to “Excavators”