Curious Hymac variant - peat harvester?

Discuss excavators here

Topic author
Gavin Phillips

Curious Hymac variant - peat harvester?

Post #1 by Gavin Phillips » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:32 pm

I was made aware of Wikipedia's machinery-based site a couple of years back and read through the Hymac entry and saw a picture of a rather curious machine which I've never heard of before.

http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Hymac

Scrolling down to the pictures at the bottom of the page, there's a wide tracked peat harvester. It seems to be excavator-based with a decent boom on it and towing or carrying a sizable dump body as well.

This is more the type of machine I'd associate with such companies as Smalley with their low ground pressure excavator designs but it would appear Hymac was in on the action as well as Smalley and County too.

Does anyone have anymore information on this curious machine?

Best regards

Gavin
Look out that window, Eden isn't burning. Its burnt.

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Curious Hymac variant - peat harvester?

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:49 pm

Hi Gavin, so far as I know this is not a Hymac machine but I cannot say 100% what I can tell you is that a certain Mr O'Gorman has been posting things on Wiki about Hymac. This guy is the chap who set up the spoof Hymac site and has made many false claims that Hymac will be making a comeback :x :roll:

Jeremy

Topic author
Gavin Phillips

Re: Curious Hymac variant - peat harvester?

Post #3 by Gavin Phillips » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:53 pm

Jeremy Rowland wrote:Hi Gavin, so far as I know this is not a Hymac machine but I cannot say 100% what I can tell you is that a certain Mr O'Gorman has been posting things on Wiki about Hymac. This guy is the chap who set up the spoof Hymac site and has made many false claims that Hymac will be making a comeback :x :roll:

Jeremy

Oh dear. So maybe it is a Smalley machine afterall or something entirely different? The mystery deepens and so makes me more intrigued. It could be any number of things I suppose, even an imported customised job. Lets face it, if those UK opencast coal shovels are that difficult to obtain information on, a machine like this would make such a job impossible.

Thanks for the warning too.

Best regards

Gavin
Look out that window, Eden isn't burning. Its burnt.

Return to “Excavators”