JCB 3CX 1983 (White Cab)

Discuss excavators here

Topic author
richie

JCB 3CX 1983 (White Cab)

Post #1 by richie » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:06 pm

Hi Can anybody help. I've a JCB 3cx (1983) 2wd and recently it started to be slow and cumbersum, I lifted machine up with front bucket and jacks. Then put the machine in gear, the one side is driving perfect ,but the other is at least half the speed and can be stop by hand, with no trouble. so 1st thought was that the brake had binded on that one side, this was'nt the case. Any Ideas?????

essexpete

Re: JCB 3CX 1983 (White Cab)

Post #2 by essexpete » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:54 pm

I think you will find that with the differential working, with both wheels off the ground, that one wheel will often spin more than the other. Try applying the brake to the one spinning and the other should then turn. If there is any major rumbling from the diff with a brake applied there may be a problem in there. If the machine is sluggish and providing it is filled with the correct tranmission oil then you might have the onset of a tranmision shuttle fault. Ideally you need to find a fitter that knows the JCB and get a trans pressure test carried out. With age and wear the clutch packs (particularly forward pack start to wear)

Topic author
richie

Post #3 by richie » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:49 pm

Hi Many thanks for replying so quickly, I did as you said and again lifted machine ,put it in drive and then braked the faster running wheel and the other did kick in. I did listen for Rumbling from diff but did'nt hear any which is good news . transmission oil is the right stuff and is full. So I'll have to get a trans pressure test done. thanks again pete

jcb1968

Post #4 by jcb1968 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:36 am

richie wrote:Hi Can anybody help. I've a JCB 3cx (1983) 2wd and recently it started to be slow and cumbersum, I lifted machine up with front bucket and jacks. Then put the machine in gear, the one side is driving perfect ,but the other is at least half the speed and can be stop by hand, with no trouble. so 1st thought was that the brake had binded on that one side, this was'nt the case. Any Ideas?????

Will it still push into a stockpile in 1st and/or 2nd gear?
I find that 3rd and definitely 4th gears only work on a smooth flat surface like a road with no hills
Also will the machine drive off in 4th gear on the flat?
1982 3CX4 sitemaster

Topic author
richie

Post #5 by richie » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:11 pm

In 1st gear it will ,to some extent. As its only a 2wd drive.

2nd gear would'nt ,as not enough umff.

3rd gear on flat surfaced road seems pretty good.

4th gear again on flat surfaced road takes a bit of winding up ie. giving engine some umff .but once goings fine.

the machine is really only used around yard,field .and sometimes gets used a lot and sometimes not.
the machine just feels slow and cumbersum and not like how it used to be.

essexpete

Post #6 by essexpete » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:45 pm

I am wondering now whether this a tranmission fault or engine losing power for sum reason. Does it start OK, burn oil, smoke excessively or get hot?

jcb1968

Post #7 by jcb1968 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:53 pm

richie wrote:In 1st gear it will ,to some extent. As its only a 2wd drive.

2nd gear would'nt ,as not enough umff.

3rd gear on flat surfaced road seems pretty good.

4th gear again on flat surfaced road takes a bit of winding up ie. giving engine some umff .but once goings fine.

the machine is really only used around yard,field .and sometimes gets used a lot and sometimes not.
the machine just feels slow and cumbersum and not like how it used to be.

another test for you is not to use the foot clutch petal between gears, ie when the forward reverse lever is in netural, just select the gear (1,2,3, or 4) and then push the lever foward
On my machine I have to do this, because when i use the foot clutch pedal, nothing happens for a while then the machine moves, and it takes longer to move the higher the gear, however by placing the F N R lever in netural between changing gears, I have no problems
Maybe someone knows whats causing this?
1982 3CX4 sitemaster

Topic author
richie

Post #8 by richie » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:08 pm

Well usally the machine only gets used for the odd 1hr or so ,when needed. But yesturday had to dig a driveway out just 50 yards up the road ,and the machine was going most of the day. In the afternoon I parked it up and left it ticking over.,When I returned noticed a good puddle of oil underneath, It looked like it was coming from somewhere around the manifold ?? as heat from exhaust was burning it.. I checked the oil later ,and it needed about half a pint. Its never burned oil before. the machine starts up pretty good, and does'nt smoke to badly... Hi john tried putting power shift in Neutral then selecting gears ,this is better than using clutch ,like your machine theres a delay

Return to “Excavators”