JCB 3CX 1988 Sitemaster intermittently stalls

Discuss excavators here

Topic author
George Law

JCB 3CX 1988 Sitemaster intermittently stalls

Post #1 by George Law » Sun May 02, 2010 11:37 pm

After being brought up with a father in the Plant Hire business it seemed completely natural to buy myself a 1988 grey cab JCB 3CX to use on my self build. On the whole it has been great. Really reliable but subject to the normal sloppiness in the back actor. However a new problem has developed and it has got me and my old dad stumped. :dizzy: When using the back actor the machine keeps cutting out. It starts on the turn of the key as soon as it stops but it is proving annoying and at times a bit dangerous (for example mid way through lifting a pallet :!: )We have checked the filters and they run clear. we have also cleaned the gauze in the lift pump which did have some muck on it but in dad's view nothing excessive. Admittedly when I did clean it, it seemed to run better for a while (or was that wishful thinking) but it now appears to be back to its old tricks. Dad isn't convinced that it is fuel starvation because of the way it starts on the turn of the key; he suspects something electrical may be at fault. If anyone can assist it would be greatly appreciated. Regards George :bow:

Jeremy Rowland

Re: JCB 3CX 1988 Sitemaster intermittently stalls

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon May 03, 2010 12:27 am

Hi George, welcome to CMN.

Does your 3CX only cut out when you use the back actor or does it cut out if you have a heavy load on the front end too?
Daft question but have you checked the condition of the airfilter?
Does the engine slow down then cut out or just cut dead immediately?

Jeremy

newjcb123uk

Post #3 by newjcb123uk » Mon May 03, 2010 10:19 am

Sounds like one of three to me - Fuel pump on its way out (if fitted) fuel solinoid cut off switch needs attention or electrial problem as regards the ignition switch. hope this helps.
"A man reaps what he sows"

essexpete

Post #4 by essexpete » Mon May 03, 2010 12:22 pm

Does it happen when you drive it reasonably hard or if you are shuttling backwards and forwards? Or is it specifically when the hydraulic services are selected?

Return to “Excavators”