Diagnose a problem....

Discuss excavators here

Topic author
Joes1989
Flag: Great Britain

Diagnose a problem....

Post #1 by Joes1989 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:53 pm

Hey guys,

Id just like to ask what you guys think about this problem i have with my machine.

Basically when you come too start it after a break (30 mins or so) it takes about 7 or 8 turns of the key before she actually fires,On a morning though she fires first time.... Ive had our fitter out to it and he cant seem to find anything particulaly wrong with it Cat have been out too and they dont know what it could be...(In all honesty i dont think he knew what he was doing),

The machine in uestion is a Cat 315CL

Joe

martyn williams

Re: Diagnose a problem....

Post #2 by martyn williams » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:40 pm

I used to get that problem with compressors,it was caused by a sticking fuel pump stop solenoid causing the engine to motor but the fuel at stop position therefore engine would not fire.Does the exhaust smoke when engine motored?
Don't know the set up on that machine,I used to remove the pump solenoid and get the operator to flick the start switch to se if the solenoid would go to run position.Just a thought anyway.Any problem starting from cold? if not it could be heat related causing it to stick.

tctractors

Post #3 by tctractors » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:54 pm

It sounds like the stepping motor is about to Calf Down, this is an electrical position control that works cables to the injector pump, if starting only plays up when the engine is hot, try pouring cold water over the injector pump (if fitted as a 315 is something I have never touched, what motor is fitted ?? to this size swinger anyhow.) the cold water trick chills all the pump components making it work to tighter tolerance and work more effectivly, this fault means a new/replacement pump is required,

tctractors

ps the stepper motor can be checked by looking at the linkage to the speed control on the engine with someone working the speed dial in the cab.

Topic author
Joes1989

Post #4 by Joes1989 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:39 am

It starts first time from cold which is why i thought it was odd....

It doesnt smoke excesivly it just puff out abit of blue smoke for a couple of seconds when you turn the revs up and after the squeelling has stopped. Ive got our fitter out sometime next week to fit some new teeth on my buckets so ill let him have another look then

Joe

§wishy

Post #5 by §wishy » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:13 am

Turn Key to the on position
count to 30
Clik to start

Result = ??

LOL
cya
§wishy
HasBeen

Artist&PixelMaNipple8R

Topic author
Joes1989

Post #6 by Joes1989 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:46 am

Tried that it still doesnt start!

Joe

fastrac94

Post #7 by fastrac94 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:18 pm

yes id try pouring water over the injector pump,it worked for me with an ex 100-5 anyhow,its the quickest,cheapst option........

Topic author
Joes1989

Post #8 by Joes1989 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:23 pm

Where is the injector pump? Im not mechanically minded at all!

Joe

Robban_C

Post #9 by Robban_C » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:56 pm

I cant tell you exactly where the injector pump is but this is how you find it out:
The injector pump is somewhere on the engine. It is a sort of "rectangular" or "roundish" (depending if it is a straight inline pump or a rotary one) device with several thin steel tubes (the numbers will be the same as the number of cylinders on the engine) coming out of it. The tubes goes up to the cylinder head. The diameter of the tubes will be about 6-8 mm (1/4" - 5/16").
The injector pump will most probably be found in the same end of the engine as the water pump and the alternator, that would be the opposite end of the main hydraulic pumps.
Most engines have their injector pump placed about halway up from the crankshaft to the cylinder head.

The idea of pouring water on it is to cool it down to se if the problem is injector pump temperature related.

I hope this help! :)
Volvo EC45 PRO -06
Volvo EC35 -01
MB-Trac 800 turbo
Bigab 10-14 hook lift trailer
MF 3165, Poor Ferguson

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/RobbanxC

Return to “Excavators”