Old Bofors excavator

Discuss excavators here

Topic author
Robban_C

Old Bofors excavator

Post #1 by Robban_C » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:59 pm

Another stolen picture. I will probably end in prison for this. :mrgreen: '

Text from the ad:
Old working Bofors with Scania D 11R engine that starts easy and runs fine. 4-lever system that demands that both of your brain halves functions. Weight approximately 29 ton. When this excavator was new it was the Rolls Royce of excavators. To be sold for its scrap value.

Haha! Funny ad! "both of your brain halves functions" :mrgreen:

A sad end for a machine that (at least according to the seller) was the Rolls Royce of excavators.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Volvo EC45 PRO -06
Volvo EC35 -01
MB-Trac 800 turbo
Bigab 10-14 hook lift trailer
MF 3165, Poor Ferguson

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/RobbanxC

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Old Bofors excavator

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:53 am

Hi Robban,

Another weird and wonderful make of machine eh? In many ways its surprising just how many manufactures of hydraulic excavators there have been, not so surprising though is how few of them there are left and thats not a reflection of the product but a reflection of global trading conditions.
Hmm food for thought.

Jeremy

Gavin Phillips

Post #3 by Gavin Phillips » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:54 pm

I wonder if the Bofors company is the same or related to the one which made its name through the design of the venerable Bofors 40mm anti-aircraft gun which can still be found in use today.

Coincidence perhaps?

I echo the opinion of how many weird and wonderful manufacturers there used to be, and how few there (seemingly) are now. Although I have to admit the possibility that if companies like Hymac and Priestman were still around in this day and age, would their excavators look any different from those of say, Cat or Komatsu?
Look out that window, Eden isn't burning. Its burnt.

Martyn Henley
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by Martyn Henley » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:02 pm

Gavin, you are spot on ... :thumbs_up:

The Bofors 40 mm gun is a famous anti-aircraft autocannon designed by the Swedish firm of Bofors. It was one of the most popular medium-weight anti-aircraft systems during World War II, used by most of the western Allies as well as various other forces. It is often referred to simply as the Bofors gun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bofors_40_mm_gun

Martyn

Topic author
Robban_C

Post #5 by Robban_C » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:11 pm

Gavin Phillips wrote:I wonder if the Bofors company is the same or related to the one which made its name through the design of the venerable Bofors 40mm anti-aircraft gun which can still be found in use today.

Coincidence perhaps? ...
As far as I know it is the same. It is a big company that has made all kind of things thruogh the years.
Volvo EC45 PRO -06
Volvo EC35 -01
MB-Trac 800 turbo
MF 3165, Poor Ferguson

Martyn Henley
Flag: Great Britain

Post #6 by Martyn Henley » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:07 am

Found some more about A,-B Bofors, it was the company name formed by Afred Noble, the company is based in Karlskoga, Sweden, apart from making guns, ships, tanks, and god knows what else, they made tractors..
Bofors1XBT.jpg

and dozers

0_Bofors_BS19_a60_dozer.jpg

And our machine that started the thread, i still cant make out whether or not they still make machines but Borfors is now owned jointly with SAAB, and BAE systems... there was something about producing worlds first quickhitch, and bucket teeth fasterners

Oh well, perhaps the chaps from Sweden can find out some more, as Sweddish is pretty hard to follow :dizzy:

Martyn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Robban_C

Post #7 by Robban_C » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:42 am

No, they dont make diggers any more.
And yes, they made teeth and teeth fasterners. Those parts can still be found on the market but I dont know who makes them. I think they are called "B-lock", where "B" of course is for Bofors.

I can search for more info but not now.
Volvo EC45 PRO -06
Volvo EC35 -01
MB-Trac 800 turbo
MF 3165, Poor Ferguson

Return to “Excavators”